Mystery Coolant Leak

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
XJSRider
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Mystery Coolant Leak

Post by XJSRider »

Hi guys!

So end of last year parked the bike, I was smelling coolant. Over the winter there were a couple drops on the garage floor front right hand side. Had UV dye in the coolant.

A couple weeks ago I stripped all the plastics and cleaned everything. With all the plastics off, fans out, shelter out, ran the bike for about 25 minutes. Crawled around with the UV light, saw no leaks. Overflow was good, no cracks, no visible leaks from any tubes, everything looked great. Huh. Maybe she healed herself or something was a bit loose, got looser over winter, and with the start it sucked in or something. I don't know. Was just happy it wasn't leaking. Put everything back together, then went on about 1000 mile ride over the next two days. Didn't smell any coolant.

Couple days later another few drops in the garage.

When I had it apart, before cleaning, the UV dye showed a slight ring around the thermostat housing. Not sure if it pooled there (had smelled coolant for several thousand miles) or if that was the source. I was hoping the overflow was leaking but could not find any sign of that. I had exposed the entire overflow before my 25 min test.

Before I commit to replacing the thermostat housing lid, can someone advise other semi common things to check? My next move is to strip it all down again and check again with the UV light. If nothing I'll do the thermostat I guess. And all the little orings at the carb. Anything else?

Thanks.

1993 aspy w/90k.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Mystery Coolant Leak

Post by Rambozo »

Why not pressure check it?
aj1500
Motorcycle: 02 ABS 1800
CSC F3 sidecar (working on installing)
USCA# 8913
96 Aspy 1500 W Lehmann trike

Post by aj1500 »

look VERY closely at the little plastic TEE laying on the right side of the thermostat housing, it just sort of lays on the manifold. shake the hose that comes from it and goes down to the water pump whiles it's running. I just went through the same thing and it was the TEE it had a hairline crack and would only leak under pressure
I can tell you from recent experience it is a pain in the arse to replace. If you are thinking about the thermostat you will have to pull the carbs to get in there. you might replace the TEE without pulling the carbs but I replaced the thermostat and hoses too so they had to come out
XJSRider
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Post by XJSRider »

Rambozo- I tried to do the pressure test last year. Borrowed a kit from the auto store, it had about 30 adapters but none would fit the radiator cap.

AJ- I'll check out that T when I get it torn apart.

Thanks guys