Gas tank horror..

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
TuomasHvn
Motorcycle: Gl 1500 1989

Gas tank horror..

Post by TuomasHvn »

Reassembled my Gl1500 carburettor and managed to install it without problems. Bike didn't start and I started checking the obvious reason - yep - no fuel - fuel pump is not pumping or making any sound at all. Decided to take it away immediately after removing most of the fuel via siphoning it away. Then this happened.

What the hell is this white stuff?

There is a lot of it!

What is this stuff?

Added few liters of boiling hot water there..

It didn't mix, heavier than water, heavier than gasoline. However it was possible to stir it and siphon it away.

I managed to get the tank relatively clean. Continuing this fun project tomorrow...

Fuel pump was completely gone, almost impossible to clean it. Odd thing of the white sludge is that it dries like paint when I dropped some it to concrete floor. Going to investigate tomorrow if it burns. Or maybe it is pure white Colombian.. who knows!

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Re: Gas tank horror..

Post by bellboy40 »

What a mess! I've never seen anything like that in a fuel tank before. Could it be some tank sealer that was put in there and it has come loose and made that mess?
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

I am going to take a SWAG and say that is the result of using a liquid tank sealer, I hate those things, will never use them.

I am also going to take a 2nd SWAG and say that using E-10 or stronger corn crap instead of Pure Gas is the reason the tank sealer dissolved and left you with that mess.
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
TuomasHvn
Motorcycle: Gl 1500 1989

Post by TuomasHvn »

Hmm, didn't think of that, it could be that it is some fuel tank sealer applied incorrectly. My friends here think that it is E95 fuel sludge, because it has 10% of different alcohol additives. They tend to form substances like this when stored for long periods, but nobody has ever seen anything like this.

Tank insides and outsides do not have much corrosion, actually I can't see anything on the outside except a small strip of rust on the top side, otherwise the black paint is like new. My 1989 has an owner's manual with a handwritten page of all repairs done, no mention of this kind of a problem. However someone has been inside the engine department before, because carburettor had one vacuum line replaced with some other type of hose than the original. And yes, it was bad, how did you guess!? :) Deteriorating and cracking, two other hoses had those flattened bends, so I replaced three hoses with slightly thicker line which do not block themselves when bent.

Some photos of the tank - the only corrosion is on the filler neck and on the breather tube. That should not be a problem because the rust stays at the bottom of the tank and it is now easy to clean after riding season is over.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

When ethKRAPanol first came out in the very late 70s our shop FLATLY REFUSED to use it. Early 80s we tried it in a couple of units and quickly found they wouldn't start in the winter. Dissected the fuel system and found very similar to your posted pix.
Lucky we had truck systems so everything was larger & easier to work on.
In time they went all diesel... now a new set of Gov. forced issues.

I'll never understand, we vote them in to work FOR us yet they immediately become harmful dictators.

Bwwhitwing
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Post by Bwwhitwing »

Not a problem I have encountered yet, but with the administration's war on oil who knows what will be in our tanks in a year. Any first hand knowledge on the possibility of mitigating the effects of the high alcohol content by adding Stabil or another fuel stabilizer?
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

MAYBE we have to become 'Home Chemists?' :shock:
Sunshinenomad
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Valkyrie Interstate

Post by Sunshinenomad »

I use non-ethanol gas exclusively. Although a bit more expensive, with a 2001 6 carb engine, the last thing I need is gas going bad the Florida heat and humidity.
timmorris
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

Post by timmorris »

Hi. Timbom62.
Just a thought. Is this white stuff jellatinous. Sometimes especially in trucks and in marine situations you can get a bacteria that grows in fuel systems. It is often caused by changes in temperature. Engines and associated components get really hot. The everything cools down and a condensation is created. This water mixes with warm fuel and a jelly like bacteria is created. It will completely stop an engine. Thus a fuel additive is added to the fuel tank and "absorbs " the problem. Not experienced this on my bike but certainly have on my brushing boat.