Rear shock pressure

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
bigsteveswing
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I
Motorvation Formula II sidecar

Rear shock pressure

Post by bigsteveswing »

This might be a silly question, but my manual says 57psi max for my air shock. This is unloaded on the centerstand, with the sidecar on obviously I cannot fully unload the rear. What pressure should I be setting the shock to, I want it to carry max load. (My screen name is not ironic ;) )

Big Steve
Keep America Strong: Weld It
8-)
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Rear shock pressure

Post by Rambozo »

Just jack up the frame until the rear wheel is off the ground. Then put in the 57psi. Let your rig back down on a smooth level surface and check your pressure. That will be your new max setting pressure for your particular combination.
blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

So there is no center stand on your bike? Or just not able to use it with the sidecar?

Ideally you need to get the rear tire off the ground, even if you need to use the jack.

I know with me and my daughter sitting on the bike (I am 360 lbs and she is 180) and the pressure set at 55psi on the center stand, when I am on the tire, my pressure reads around 88-92.
You should not try to pump up to the pressure though while on the tire though, the onboard pump is not designed to put out that kind of pressure.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE
bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing »

blupupher wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:48 pm So there is no center stand on your bike? Or just not able to use it with the sidecar?

Ideally you need to get the rear tire off the ground, even if you need to use the jack.

You should not try to pump up to the pressure though while on the tire though, the onboard pump is not designed to put out that kind of pressure.
I do have centerstand, I don't know if I can get the bike up on it with the sidecar on, never tried it.

No onboard compressor for me unfortunately 😔

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try the stand tomorrow and let you know how it goes...
Big Steve
8-)
bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing »

Rambozo wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:45 pm Just jack up the frame until the rear wheel is off the ground. Then put in the 57psi. Let your rig back down on a smooth level surface and check your pressure. That will be your new max setting pressure for your particular combination.
That is a good thought to get my "new" pressure once I get things aired up unloaded.
Thank you for the suggestion.
Big Steve
8-)
bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing »

I ended up jacking the bike up and airing up the shock to 57psi. When I put it back down it reads about 60...

Another question, should I be getting oil from that line every time I check the pressure? I drained and refilled the shock a couple years ago and have always had oil at that line.
Big Steve
8-)
blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

I don't have oil, but I also have the built in pump, and have no idea if my shock even has any oil in it (it is on my to do list when I change my tire).
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE
4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Post by 4given »

If you unhook the air line there will always be a certain amount of oil showing. If it is excessive it might be time for a seal kit.

“Fight the fight and do what is right“