My 88 hestitation solved

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Arcweld80
Motorcycle: GL 1500 1988

My 88 hestitation solved

Post by Arcweld80 »

My 1500 has since i bought it 3 years ago had a very bad hesitation when you take off from idle. But you learn how to it drive it anyway.. i have synced the carbs and changed 80% of the vaccumlines and the famous 90 degree bend!!and spent hours reading on internet!!

Yesterday i tried the "toothpick" mod in the carbs airport and the bike respondend on the throttle like never before BUT the mixture was to rich!! So i removed the toothpicks and i knew i was something on the way... then i understood the airjets and the carbourator valve had a role to play in all this!! I plugged the hose that goes from the sub airfilter to the solonoids and the 2 vaccum hoses that goes to the carb valve an VIOLA!!! Its like a new bike!! The hesitation is 100% gone!!
I read that in 88 they came out with a fix for this with a new ecu and a new carb controller... but the only thing a carb needs is fuel in and a vent from the carb bowl to work.. i hope this can cure more goldwings with a hickup. Regards from sweden.
Attachments

Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

Re: My 88 hestitation solved

Post by Snowmoer »

Does your carbs have the #55 jets in them? That was part of the recall. My bike did not get the recall done back in the day. I just changed out the 50's for 55's and that fixed the problem for me. I still was running the old ECU. No plugging any vacuum hoses.
Arcweld80

Post by Arcweld80 »

I have not removed the carbs and checked main or pilot jet... i found a service bulletin from honda 1988 same year as the first 1500. The kit was this carb controller valve and a new ecu. This springloaded valve was only on the early 1500. But the air solenoids is on all 1500 from 1988- 2000
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Some people have reported improved performance on the '88 / '89 wings by replacing the ignition trigger wheel on the crank at the timing belt pulley with an aftermarket one which is cut for 4 degree extra from OEM timing advance..... Cyclemax sells 'em.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
Arcweld80

Post by Arcweld80 »

Read about the trigger wheel.. i was on a 500km ride yesterday and the bike performed great with the same fuel consumption it always has BUT with no hesitation... and no popping in the exhaust when you let go off the throttle... the air solonoids is for reducing that.. i will try to unplugg the solonoids and see if the bikes still runs great then the fault is the carb valve that i posted a picture of..
Attachments

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings »

Saw your post there!! - I would strongly advise you to watch this training video by Shane martin -

Motorcycle Induction Systems Goldwing GL 1500 -

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

It will help you understand the 7 induction systems you have on your wing and how they operate too. This will both help you diagnose the problem faster and save you a ton of money on buying parts you don't need to fix the problem in the first place.

Most wing owners don't even know what the colour coding is for on the hoses?? watch the vid again and again!! that way you will truly understand how your wing works before tearing it down.

Lastly - The three fixes I am aware of for this problem if all else fails are-

1) Fit a 4degree advance trigger wheel.

2) Replace the carb jets go 2 sizes bigger than those in now.

3) Watch this YouTube video - By agnogel - GL 1500 CARB REBUILD -

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

The purpose of this video is to help remove the Hesitation on the 88/89 Goldwing 1500 models, It is a step by step
instruction, the carbs i used are an old set I had off a 1991 model other than the size of the jets there is no real
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2...
deference in them.
On the link is a more detailed description http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2...

imported post

Just let me start by saying this is my own opinion I don't have the resources of Mother Honda to back up my findings

If you have the off idle hesitation, I think I can safely say your bike did not leave the factory with it. I have come to believe it developed over time by the use of the machine and the non use. With all the additives in our fuel, dirt in the fuel system and other forces beyond our control I came to the conclusion a long time ago that the carb jets in the 88/89 models were under sized ever so slightly.

Some members have had varying success with adding the 4th degree trigger wheel or by running sea-foam through the fuel system etc etc.

In the two pictures below is the carburetor specifications from 88/92 you will see that Honda changed the jet sizes in 1990 and eliminated the carb control unit under the right fairing pocket

Your carbs main jets are made up of a primary, secondary,and pilot (idle) jet

The primary is pressed into the carb body and can not be replaced other than replacing the carbs with a later models and this causes more issues as the vacuum hose set up is different plus your carb control unit is tied into the ECM,

In the list above the secondary jet size was changed from a 155 to a 158 this is a very small difference and I believe does not add to your problem. On the other hand they changed the pilot from a 50 to a size 60 and here is were I believe the problem lies.

What happens is the engine runs on the pilot jet up to 1500/2000 RPMs then as you roll on the throttle the secondary jet supplies the engine with more fuel for the higher RPMs

There are a number of things you need to do if you are replacing the pilot jets

Honda part no 99103-MT8-0600 two required on the link is the parts fiche and can be a very use full reference for the rebuild

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_select2.a ... &fveh=3491

You will need to re sync the carbs after stripping them, on the link is the Video Steve made of this process you can bench set them but i prefer to use the vacuum gauges as I find it more accurate
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500balancecarbs.htm

You also need to adjust the pilot needles from 31/8 turns out to 2 turns out as a starting point.
Don't screw the adjusters tight into the carbs as this will damage the needles and seats.
A light hand is required here, Your manual will give you the adjustments you require. But if any one is stuck I can email them to you just send me a pm with your mail address

The picture below shows the adjusters that have another anti-tamper limit on them you will have to remove the limiter caps or cut the limiter arm off depending on your model a handy hint is to paint the adjuster screws with a bright paint to aid adjustment.

Your manual will tell you "access to the adjusters is over the top of the radiators".
This is a miss print.
Access is through the two small holes in the front grill.

A small flash light will aid you sighting the screws. All adjustments are to be done with the bike warmed up and sitting on the center stand.

I have to state this job is not for the novice mechanic as it requires a lot of dismantling and taking plenty of pictures to aid your rebuild.
On the lower links are some handy tips for access

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500airfilter.htm

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500console.htm

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500fairingpanels.htm

I hope this will be of help to you all

Ride Safe

hope this helps
ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

Arcweld80 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:14 am Read about the trigger wheel.. i was on a 500km ride yesterday and the bike performed great with the same fuel consumption it always has BUT with no hesitation... and no popping in the exhaust when you let go off the throttle... the air solonoids is for reducing that.. i will try to unplugg the solonoids and see if the bikes still runs great then the fault is the carb valve that i posted a picture of..
The part you circled is for altitude compensation of the carburetor mixture and if defective would lean mixture out at sea level. It was deleted and incorporated into the ECM on subsequent model years. Popping in the exhaust on deceleration when mixtures are correct is most often caused by a fault in the Pulse AIR system.
Attachments

Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do