Pegasus: Rear Brakes FIXED!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
PegasusRider
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 SE

Pegasus: Rear Brakes FIXED!

Post by PegasusRider »

So I have not had any rear brakes for sometime now. Tonight I decided to work on the rear brakes. I had no pressure before I started this and its always been that way since I purchased the bike months ago. I flushed the front brake first. I noticed the brake fluid looked old but was not nearly as bad as the front brake fluid I flushed earlier. Ran about 2 master cylinders full through it and noticed pressure. I closed the line and started pushing on it. Got on it rolled it around ( its in the garage/office) and it stopped with the rear brake only. Doesnt mean the rear wheel is braking though but the pedal stops the front brake for sure. I will test drive it tomorrow to see. Just thought it was really weird all this time I could have had rear brakes if I just flush the front is that normal?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Pegasus: Rear Brakes FIXED!

Post by WingAdmin »

PegasusRider wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:32 pm So I have not had any rear brakes for sometime now. Tonight I decided to work on the rear brakes. I had no pressure before I started this and its always been that way since I purchased the bike months ago. I flushed the front brake first. I noticed the brake fluid looked old but was not nearly as bad as the front brake fluid I flushed earlier. Ran about 2 master cylinders full through it and noticed pressure. I closed the line and started pushing on it. Got on it rolled it around ( its in the garage/office) and it stopped with the rear brake only. Doesnt mean the rear wheel is braking though but the pedal stops the front brake for sure. I will test drive it tomorrow to see. Just thought it was really weird all this time I could have had rear brakes if I just flush the front is that normal?
The front master cylinder and rear master cylinder are not connected at all. So you can't fix the rear by flushing the front.

THAT said...which front caliper were you flushing? The front right caliper is controlled by the front lever/master cylinder, the front left caliper is controlled by the rear pedal/master cylinder.
PegasusRider

Post by PegasusRider »

Front Left the one connected to the rear master cylinder. I have not flushed the rear brake fluid yet. Just the front rear brake fluid. If that makes any sense.
PegasusRider

Post by PegasusRider »

Here is the brake fluid I flushed.
Attachments

bigsteveswing
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I
Motorvation Formula II sidecar

Post by bigsteveswing »

You should be able to put the bike up on the center stand, spin the rear tire then push the brake pedal to confirm rear brake operation. If it stops at least you know your master cylinder is making pressure.
Big Steve
Keep America Strong: Weld It
8-)
PegasusRider

Post by PegasusRider »

Rear wheel stops so we are good there. It does feel mushy, my last 2 bikes the rear brakes always felt mushy compared to the front brake. I will be flushing out the rear rear line (already flushed out the front rear line)
PegasusRider

Post by PegasusRider »

Rear Brake rear system flushed. it was about as dark as the front brakes. The pressure feels stiffer, not sure if it is in my imagination or not. Learning to take off the saddle bags was really useful for this work.
Attachments