Fader Removal

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
GeoDude
Motorcycle: .
1992 GL1500A Aspencade
1981 GL500I SilverWing

Fader Removal

Post by GeoDude »

Hey guys! I've got a '92 Aspencade with a fader that's causing a ridiculous amount of static. It's mounted on the panel right above the right leg vent, not sure if it was a factory/dealer option or an aftermarket install at some point. The rats nest of wires makes me think aftermarket.

A while back I sprayed a bunch of contact cleaner into it and it sounded fantastic for about an hour. Once it all dried up it went back to being awful. At this point I don't even really care about being able to fade the radio so I'd rather remove the whole damn thing. I tried looking at some wiring diagrams but I can't really figure out what I'm looking at, so I'm hoping someone here can give me an answer.

Fader

Mess of wires running to the fader

View of connectors inside the fairing

Apparently I don't know how to embed images properly. Wrapping imgur links with the img tag just resulted in broken images.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
186K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
20K Miles

Re: Fader Removal

Post by MikeB »

I have a set of installation instructions for the aftermarket fader control. It is in PDF format so I can not post it here but I can email it to you if you will send me your email address in a Private Message. It may help you to understand how it is wired and how to remove it. Keep in mind that it won't help you to keep the rear speakers in place and connected to your system. It is only installation instructions.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

You might want to drench it with Deoxit Fader. Much better than contact cleaner as it has lube for pots and other secret sauce to make it last. A quick and easy fix.
Do you have a Honda service manual or other wiring diagram?
Without the fader you will most likely lose the rear speakers. That is the case with the factory fader and probably most aftermarket units as they also serve to match the 4 speaker impedance to that of the 2 speaker radio output.
GeoDude
Motorcycle: .
1992 GL1500A Aspencade
1981 GL500I SilverWing

Post by GeoDude »

MikeB wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:30 pm I have a set of installation instructions for the aftermarket fader control.
That could definitely be useful. I didn't realize that you can't run the rear speakers directly without some sort of fader though, so I might not delete it entirely. Any idea if there's a part number for the pot?
Rambozo wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:47 pm You might want to drench it with Deoxit Fader. Much better than contact cleaner as it has lube for pots and other secret sauce to make it last. A quick and easy fix.
That is probably a good idea. Part of the problem is that it's sealed up pretty well so I'd just tried to spray into some spaces in that big glob of glue stuff and hoped that some would make its way inside. I should probably just pull it all off, clean it up and resolder. Now that I know that I won't be able to keep the rear speakers without it I'll invest a little more time to fix it.
Rambozo wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:47 pm Do you have a Honda service manual or other wiring diagram?
Unfortunately no. So far I've been relying on finding ones uploaded online, but I find it gets significantly harder when it comes to wiring.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Another option is to just round up the Honda part. I got one on ebay pretty cheap. They had them in a few different places depending on the year and the model, but Inside I would think they are all the same. The early ones were on the shelter cover and later on the left handlebar pod. It looks like you still have the Honda connectors so it will plug right in. To ditch the fader and just run the front speakers, unplug the fader and plug the two connectors together.