Sidecar Wiring HELP!!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
guitarzan
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Sidecar Wiring HELP!!

Post by guitarzan »

Hello,
I have a 1994 Goldwing SE 1500 and I'm going to try and mount a sidecar to the bike but I'm looking for a place to splice the sidecar tail light, brake light but I don't know how to read the schematic. Is there a place that is accessible under the seat? I would sure appreciate any help.

Respectfully

Frank

USMC Purple Heart Combat Veteran MOS 0331 Machine Gunner Vietnam 70-71
Best site ever is right here.
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Re: Sidecar Wiring HELP!!

Post by Swagonmaster »

I'll see if I can be of any help here. I just installed a trike kit on my bike and had to splice into the wiring also and on mine I chose to go to the wires in the rear corners where the wrap around trim goes at the rear of the saddle bags. It's pretty easy to get to and you can get all of the connections you need from just the right side except the left turn signal. I like to use this type of tap as it is easy and clean:
https://www.amazon.com/Amlits-Connector ... B08YJX4R4Z
Not to say you need this kit but this is what I use.
White wire = tail light
Yellow wire = left turn
Green wire = right turn
Brown wire = brake lights
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

Oh and you can also go to the bulbs in the trunk if you want.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
guitarzan
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by guitarzan »

Hi,
Thank you for the information and for taking the time to help me out.

Frank

Have a safe 4th of July celebrating the birth of our great Republic and the Constitution of the United States of America
USMC Purple Heart Combat Veteran MOS 0331 Machine Gunner Vietnam 70-71
Best site ever is right here.
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

I gave you the normal trailer wiring colors but didn't give you the Honda wiring colors which are:
Green is ground
Brown is the taillights
Orange is the left turn signal
Light blue is the right
Green/yellow is the brakes
Hope it all goes smoothly for you.
Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by Elmobile »

Just saw your post... hope you have not cut any wires yet :D

The way to go is to use a trailer wiring harness. Cycle max has 2 options for you:
GL1500 Trailer Wiring Harness (B2-448)
This is a trailer wiring harness. It is made by Show Chrome and is designed to plug right into the factory wiring harness on all years of Goldwing GL1500's from 1988-2000. This is a 5 wire harness. If you are using a trailer with a 4 wire system, you will also need to purchase a 5 to 4 converter. The trailer end of this harness has five single wires so, you will need to get a plug for this end of the harness to match the plug on your trailer. 2-448
$16.95

GL1500 ISO Trailer Wiring Harness (45-8945)
This is an isolated trailer wiring harness. It is designed to isolate the wiring between the bike and the trailer to prevent electrical feedback into the bike. It also reduces the chance of overloading the bikes taillight circuits. This is a 5 wire harness. If you are using a trailer with a 4 wire system, you will also need to purchase a 5 to 4 converter. This 5 wire harness gets the power for the trailer lights directly from the bike battery. It has four relays that are activated by the bikes factory wiring harness. This plug and play harness comes with complete instructions and will fit on all Goldwing GL1500's from 1988-2000.
$26.38

When I first hook up my CSC III to my 1990 GW, I used the B2-448 harness. I recently replace it to the 45-8945 harness to reduce the load on the OEM wiring. Not sure I really needed to do that but it makes me feel better. Make for a clean install without messing up your bike main harness...
Let me know if you need further help!
What sidecar are you mounting?
Cheers.