Problem after oil and filter change

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
mrjay62
Location: Palmyra NY where the men r men and the sheep r nervous.
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Goldwing. New to me as of June 2015.

Problem after oil and filter change

Post by mrjay62 »

Hi guys.
Long time since I posted a question.
A few days ago I changed my oil and oil filter.
Now I have that growling sound that goes away when I pull on the clutch leaver. (Didn't have it before oil change. )
Drained the fluid from the clutch slave, removed it to clean it but it looks new and clean inside as new. Fluid was a little yellow. Didn't help. Clutch slave was replaced 5 years ago along with the inner seal to the motor and was parked since.. bled it a few times , left the cover of over night.
No change.
Also does anyone know where this hose goes too?
It was beside the clutch slave, is it missing a hose on that tee?
Thanks guys

Jay
Attachments

As always thanks for your help and input...
Great Site, Great People!
Jay
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: Problem after oil and filter change

Post by Andy Cote »

If I read this right, You have not ridden the bike in five years. Is that correct? How loud is the growl? While many have had success with the Purolator and the Rotella, might want to try Honda brand just to eliminate that from the conversation.

Why do you think this noise is related to the clutch hydraulic system?

I don't remember any red hoses Where do the current hoses go?
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

I think you just may not remember the noise. My 93 makes the same noise and I believe all 1500s as well as 1800s do the same. Normal gear mesh noise.
4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Post by 4given »

dingdong wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:02 am I think you just may not remember the noise. My 93 makes the same noise and I believe all 1500s as well as 1800s do the same. Normal gear mesh noise.
What dingdong said.
“Fight the fight and do what is right“
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

I have had two 1500s and they both made a noise at idle with the clutch released. Pull the clutch in and the noise goes away. I think that is a normal sound for the 1500. You probably were just more aware of sounds the bike made after you had worked on it.
mrjay62

Post by mrjay62 »

Hi guys .
Thanks for the replies.
Yes it's true I haven't had the bike out in just over 5 years due to an injury.
Feeling it time to try again I started on updating all the fluids simply because it's all been in there for that time. It was All replaced 5 years ago ,alone with all the front and rear wheel bearings, bushings, rear dif fluid, lubed drive shaft and u joint, replaced slave clutch and inner seal. New brake pads,plugs,air filter, balanced the carbs, replaced vacuum lines,. Probably other things I can't remember.
I can tell you I'm sure that growling sound wasn't there before the oil change. I had that sound once before when I 1st got the bike and found the clutch slave was very crusty like brake fluid
Had crystallized. Rather than clean or rebuilt I bought a new OEM slave.
Now after oil change i noticed the growing is back. But if i slightly pulling the clutch leaver and it's goes away...
When I removed the clutch slave it was clean like new.
I bled it a few times but no luck, I still hear and kinda feel the vibration.
As for that red fabric covered line it was in the loom with a larger clear tubing just passed the slave i just put it back , the tee is what i was wondering about. I couldn't find anything that mite connect to it. Thought maybe someone else knew.

Anyways that my story. .

I have no problem removing the clutch slave again if it's something I missed or didn't clean and lube enough.

Thanks guys.
Jay
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

My fuel overflow and vent hoses are red.
When the clutch is pulled you are loading the transmission shaft bearings axially and taking out any play. If it has been sitting a long time you may need to put some mileage on it to get everything to run smooth again.
in2it
Motorcycle: 2000 GL 1500 Aspencade
1982 GL1100 (SOLD)
1980 GL1100 Bobber with Vance and Hines Mufflers (SOLD)

Past Rides in my youth
1965 Honda C102 50cc OHV Engine with 3spd Auto-Clutch
1972 CB 350
1975 CB 550 4 with Dunstall headers and mufflers
1978 GL 1000

Post by in2it »

Rambozo wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:03 pm My fuel overflow and vent hoses are red.
When the clutch is pulled you are loading the transmission shaft bearings axially and taking out any play. If it has been sitting a long time you may need to put some mileage on it to get everything to run smooth again.
Agree with Rambozo ... the noise is normal
mrjay62

Post by mrjay62 »

Thanks Rambo zone

That may be worth a try.
I pulled it all apart again checked Everything bled it a few times, then used the mighty max vacuum bleeder.. same no change.
The only thing I noticed is now it seems to take less of a pull of the clutch leaver to make it quite.

I'll put the moped plate on it and ride around this evening. I'll let you know if there's any change.

Thanks Again.

Jay
Jay
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

I really can't think of anything on the hydraulic side that would cause a growl. I agree that it may just be normal transmission noise (the GL1500 is known for that) but there could be an issue in the transmission. Even if there is, the clutch hydraulics don't really affect that. All they do is engage/disengage the clutch basket.

Take a ride and see how things go.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
mrjay62

Post by mrjay62 »

Well guys I drove for just over 590 miles did not make differents.
When the bike is in the garage is Believe I hear everything much better.
I know before the oil change i didnt hear and feel this. Like I said a slight pull of the clutch leaver and it's gone. I only changed the oil because it's been in there for around 5 years.
I always ran the bike throughout the year always always started right up.. I only use non-ethanol fuel. Before taking out for a ride i did put in some seafoam. Just because. lol.
Ordering new Honda oil and filter, See if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Jay
Jay
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

This is a long-shot.
If you still have that old oil that made no noise, reinsert it. (Coffee filter it first)
Basic process of elimination thing.

Have you tried using a long screwdriver as a stethoscope?
FWIW: My Wing also has that noise, tho its loudness changes with different oils.
mrjay62

Post by mrjay62 »

Hi FM

Old oil is gone. It was still very clean and semi-transparent. Like I mentioned I only replaced it because of age not mileage.

I do have a stethoscope I could check using it.
Good idea.

Thank you
Jay
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

Off topic point, though might be pertinent.
I tried Full Synthetic and not only did the seals leak the motor made noises like it was low on oil.
Tried 50-50 mix and leaks stopped and noises are a lot less, tho still there.
Went back to full Dino-oil and noises are almost gone but are at the level when I first got the bike.

mrjay62

Post by mrjay62 »

Thanks FM-USA

Yout may have something there..
After checking the oil that was in there before, It was-Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle SAE 10W-40 Conventional Motor Oil.
Who knows, the new Honda oil that I order doesn't say it's synthetic should have it today or tomorrow if it is synthetic I run to Wally World and get the Valvoline that I had in it before it is conventional oil

thanks guys.

And by the way I tried listening with the stethoscope all I hear is that low growl just in the mid section of engine below the alternator and around the shifter to me it almost sounds like a loose timing chain, thats my best description of the sound . I did check around the timing belt.. nothing really there. And still with a slight pull up the clutch lever it almost all goes away.
Let hope the oil makes a difference.
Jay
FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

mrjay:
That mid engine sound is near the 2 main gears for transmission of crank power to trans gears, I hear that also.
Sadly Honda made those gears mesh one at a time. If it were 2 the sound would almost not be there. But that adds to the overall cost of the bike.
mrjay62

Post by mrjay62 »

Just a quick update the new oil made a world of difference it's quite and I don't feel that rumble/vibration anymore.

My little world is all better now..
Until I turn the news or step outside.

Thanks everyone.

Jay
Jay
Greenwinger
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE
Pearl Green and Beautiful

Post by Greenwinger »

The plastic T's 3rd leg isn't attached to anything, I believe it is a vent for the line.
The avatar is of me and the Mrs. on the dragon a few years back.
keithg64
Motorcycle: 2007 Gl1800HPNA Blue
2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue -sold

Post by keithg64 »

So it was the synthetic oil. My bike is a 2007 gl1800 with 100k miles. I have been running synthetic oil for the last 3 years now and have that same sound and have come to the conclusion that it's supposed to sound that way but I'm not happy about it. You guys that have that sound do you use synthetic oil too ? I may change to conventional motorcycle oil to see any difference. In my bike honda does not suggest using synthetic oil but I am.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Documents indicate the PO of my '93 1500 bought it in '95, probably NOS.

He always used Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic Diesel oil in it, I have continued the tradition. I haven't noted these noises (though I really haven't been listening for them)
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
2manywings
Motorcycle: '76s,'78,'83s,'84s,'85s,'88s,'89,'01,'04s (the list is ever changing...2manywings)

Post by 2manywings »

A growling pronounced noise heard until you apply slight pressure to the clutch lever is quite common on GL15 and 1800s. There is a bearing in the "clutch lifter plate" that could be an issue hear. I've replaced a few of these over the years. It's very possible that while this bike was laid-up for five years, the bearing may have developed small rust spots where the ball bearings contact the bearing races causing this growl.Leaving a bike sit idle for that period of time is not good. Crankcase condensation and acidic old oil can do some bad things. That's why so many veteran mechanics claim that the best way to store a seasonal piece of equipment is to put it away with FRESH oil... to get that acidic oil out of there.
This bearing is only one of several possible culprits, but one that I've had experience with. If it were mine, I'd run it for a while and see if it gets better, but if it's a damaged bearing, replacement will be the only option. This bearing can be replaced without engine removal. Good luck!
retiredrecluse
Motorcycle: 2000 GL 1500 Trike

Post by retiredrecluse »

I’ve owned 6 Goldwings over the last 45 years with the last 3 being 1500’s. (Which I still have)
As strange as it may sound, all three of my “1500’s” each use different engine oils do to different issues with shifting, engine and transmission noise, clutch etc. One would think an engine is an engine is an engine, but just like the automotive and/or truck industry all things have different characteristics for different reasons which require different lubricants. It’s a mystery for sure. However, as previously mentioned, try different oils, with and without synthetic blends, moly additives, and even “Dino” straight petroleum base maybe the ticket? Be certain they all have the “JASO” recommendations as stipulated by the manufacturer.
And in regards to the red/black tube with the “T”, that comes from the fuel cap vent overflow in which the “T” is a mystery to us all but, each of my “1500’s” have the same tube configuration also.
Have fun and experiment with different oils until you find the right one for your bike.
call-abe
Motorcycle: 1990 Aspencade

Post by call-abe »

I noted the use of Shell Rotella FOR DIESEL ENGINES. I've recently switched to the Rotella for GASOLINE engines.

It is recommended to use the DIESEL version? Is it somehow better? Can be used in gas engines like my GL1500?

Thanks for the guidance. And I notice no change in the noises on my bike. It DID improve the shifting compared to the conventional I'd used for several years...but only for the first few thousand miles I believe. Still good...but closer to what I had with the conventional oil. Overall, I'll CONTINUE to use full synthetic -- only question is this Diesel versus gasoline engine synthetic issue...
retiredrecluse
Motorcycle: 2000 GL 1500 Trike

Post by retiredrecluse »

Shell T-6 synthetic is great oil and used by many in their GL's. I've had 3 "GL 1500's" in which all required different oils to shift and operate smoothly, everything from Amsoil, Honda with Moly, Honda without Moly, Delvac 1300, Chevron Delo 10/40, Mobile 1, you name it, I've tried it. Once I found the right one, I stuck with it throughout it's lifespan which has been close to 300K miles on each bike without a clutch change or engine failure so far. It's a trial and error thing for the most part, kind of like tires and brakes, each with their own characteristics depending on each riders riding habits. Don't be afraid to experiment and use what ever works best for you and your riding habits. Proper service/maintenance and good quality products are the key to longevity.
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

If you go to the Shell Oil website, look up the T6 Diesel oil, you'll find probably more reviews posted by Bikers than Truckers..... Just sayin'..... :D

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark