A sudden change in performance

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
country rider
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500
1995 Honda GL1500 SE

A sudden change in performance

Post by country rider »

New to this forum.so here goes. Two weeks ago went for a ride with my '94 Gold Wing on a hot 96 degree day. Bike ran ultra smooth with no problems. One hour later started up and ended up with not a dead miss, but more like a flutter at idle. Fast forward the prior two weeks ago. When cold you can really notice the flutter condition and feel it through the exhaust. When fully warm the condition lessons, but does not go completely away. At higher speed you would never know there was a problem and pull out is smooth. The fuel mileage has dropped about 2 miles per gallon. Just not sure where this problem could be since it not what you would call a hard fault. Also spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter were replaced in March 2021 Any advice would be appreciated.

LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Re: A sudden change in performance

Post by LAB3 »

Something worth checking would be where the spark plug wires go into the coils. I've never worked on a 94 but from the parts fische it looks like they push/twist into the coils, a common way to attach spark plug wires. Remove them (one at a time of course) and clip about 1/4" off the wire then reinstall, this should help to make sure you have a good connection. Don't be surprised if there's some white dusty looking stuff on the ends of the wires, if it's green colored you probably found the problem. Either way, some contact cleaner sprayed into the coils is good all around shop practice.
country rider
1995 Honda GL1500 SE

Post by country rider »

Sounds like good thing to check out. I ran across a complete set of coils with wires from a 1996 Gold Wing GL1500 with a little over 19K on the bike. I have bought from this Ebay seller before with very good results. Because of the age of my Wing the coil packs and a complete look at the vacuum lines will be preformed. I know this is a big job with the plastic tear down, carb. removal, and more likely the cooling fans removed for better access. Because the bike is still running pretty good this will be a fall/winter project unless there is a complete failure. Thank you for the information LAB3. I will further post when this is done.
LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Post by LAB3 »

Coils don't go bad very often, it's actually rather rare. On my 1100 the false tank comes off rather easily giving me access to the required parts mentioned. You probably COULD replace the entire wire set, the caps do remove from the wire on my bike. The parts fische makes it appear that they're molded onto the wires on the 1500. Another alternative would be buying some bulk wire and caps, look for NGK brand caps if you go that route.
2manywings
Motorcycle: '76s,'78,'83s,'84s,'85s,'88s,'89,'01,'04s (the list is ever changing...2manywings)

Post by 2manywings »

Coil failure on these bikes are very rare... I can only remember having to replace one or two in the 38 years that I've been playing with these bikes. The vacuum hoses on these are a big issue. There are two hoses to look at, one is above the left cylinder head where the intake fastens to the head. The hose that plugs into the center intake runner tends to melt at the end of its metal barb. The other is under the carbs. The left side intake manifold has a short rubber hose with a 90 degree bend. They tend to melt through right at the bend. There are plenty of videos on the web that explain it. The other thing that I'm seeing more and more, is a failure of one of the pulse generators. There is a simple test (which requires a multi-meter) to determine their health. the plug for these is above the right side cooling fan. Good luck!
country rider
1995 Honda GL1500 SE

Post by country rider »

First of all I want to thank all comments as to the running of this Wing. Of all things I did find a fuel leak at the automatic petcock. The kit was ordered and took care of that problem. Also replaced 4 vacuum hoses that were getting soft. One was going to the carb computer on the right side behind the shelter. A further intermittent problem is carburetors. Sometimes when i start the bike it has fuel coming out of the bottom hose--other times it does not leak and runs just fine. I never know when it will act up. So here is my question--I have a pair of carburetors that came off of a California Gold Wing GL1500 with the different emission hook ups. Can these carburetor vacuum ports be blocked off that I don't use and still work on a Non California GL1500? Has anyone done this? Quite frankly this '94 Gold Wing has given me more than the normal share of trouble--I'll just leave it at that.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

They show the same jets, and most of the bits and pieces, so I would think they would be fine as long as you plug the unused ports. It sounds just like you have a bad needle and seat or even just some trash in that area. Possibly some bits of rubber from the petcock failure. Unless the CA carbs just came off a running bike, They are an unknown and not worth installing without a complete rebuild. Better just to fix your one carb leak, if your bike runs fine otherwise.
I'm guessing that this bike sat unsued for some time. That seems to be the one thing that give them problems.