pegs vs boards

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
glrider7
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500

pegs vs boards

Post by glrider7 »

I was recently away visiting my Dad and was walking over to the store when I came across a guy who needed help lifting his GL1500 up after it had fell over part way to the right. After getting his bike sitting up the way it's supposed to we got to chatting and the topic of certain parts came up. I have foot pegs on my bike and he has boards with a toe hell shifter. He went on to say that he wish he could find someone with pegs. I said to him 'I may be your man', as I have wanted boards for a long time because I thought I would prefer them. My idea was that I would like having my entire foot plat on something. We got together one Thursday night and swapped parts. We would have done the highway pegs/boards as well, but it seems my pegs won't come off without taking off the engine guard first.

On the way back home, I hit something on the road and dented my wheel. To make a long story short I found out that Honda no longer stocks the front wheel and it was a real adventure getting my bike home where I was luckily able to get a rim from a guy who has been collecting GW bikes and parts for 22 years. I was telling him about the boards and he said they are not good for the transmission and that I should switch back to pegs as soon as I can.

What is the feeling of people here. Goof? Bad? Indifferent?

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: pegs vs boards

Post by Rambozo »

The heel shifter gives you enough leverage to bend the shift forks if you stomp on it. Also getting the shift linkage adjusted properly can be tricky. But if you don't abuse it, you should be fine.
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

Boards and heel toe shifters are bad news for transmissions.

Unless you are extremely diligent to always remove your foot from the shifter pads, you will end up resting part of your foot on the pads.... That usually bends shift forks, and the Goldwing engines are nearly impossible to service the transmission....

I have seen one thread where a guy totally disassembled a gl1500 and took photos of every single step, and explained what had to be done. It was an immense project, that no one should look forward to.

I have owned two 1500s, a '94SE with the 4th gear problem already in it when I got it. it had pegs on it when I bought it, but no history to say that was always the case. I made it a point, that when I shifted into 4th gear, that I backed off the throttle while still pressing the shifter to stay in 4th.... it wasn't much, but my foot could feel that little tiny nudge help the shifter slid to where it should be.... once it actually locked into 4th, it stayed there.

I rode that bike for a good long while, until a Penske Semi rig merged that bike into a center median wall... not pretty, and I still have memory issues, and totally lost my body's ability to regulate temperature. I am lucky to be alive.

2 years later, I bought a '98SE with heel toe shifter, at the time, I thought I was through with pushing hard in the twisties, so I went thru with the purchase....

I bought it in Tampa, FL and not 100 miles later after the purchase, I'm on I-75 about to pass a horse trailer, when the left front tire on the trailer blew up, and the entire casing came backwards towards me and hit the bike just barely to the right of the front wheel.... it took off all the pretty chrome pieces on the fairing and hit my right foot. The bike continued straight ahead, but I started looking for a place to pull off and see what the damage was....

A long grassy berm showed up that was "almost level" but it had about a 2 inch drop from the pavement before I could get to the grass. I pulled over and started to put my feet down................
and right there, while fully stopped is when I learned to hate boards on a bike. I could not get my right foot close enough to the bike to reach the ground, and over we went, the bike laying on its' right side and me under it.

Thank goodness for those Crash Bars, no damage to the bike, and just enough room for me to slide my right foot out from under the bike. My duffel bag was strapped onto the pillion seat.... I should have taken it off, but being stubborn, I just picked it up, using my back and started pushing it up until it rested on the side stand....

I sold that bike a short while later, to get rid of those boards... but, before it was sold, I found out that it is way too easy to allow your foot to rest on the shifter, and that is what kills transmissions.

My advice? get rid of the boards and go back to Pegs....
if that 98SE had the OEM pegs on it, I could have put my foot down onto Terra Firma and not fallen over to the right.... I will never, ever, even look at a bike with boards on it.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

My bike had boards with a heel toe shifter when I bought it, I took them off as soon as I found all the parts I needed to go back to pegs.

If I only did long distance on straight roads (which the previous owners did), floor boards would be OK, but I ride it daily to work and like to do corners, and boards do not work well with that.
I was always dragging the floor boards, even turning onto my street at maybe 25 mph. Annoyed the heck out of me. I also always felt I was having to move my feet around all the time to shift and brake, and was getting weird cramps in my left hip from using the heel toe shifter. It just put my leg at a weird angle to shift.
I was also having a lot of mis-shifts with the heel toe shifter, even after spending hours messing with the linkage and getting a shift pivot brace (which you need to get even if you only had pegs, it is even more important with a heel toe shifter), I had constant mis-shifts from 1-2 (hit neutral all the time).
My bike also has the 3-4 shift issue were it does not always "lock" into 4th gear. Is that because of the heel toe shifter, no idea because a lot of 1500 have the same issue with no heel toe shifter, but I do think it contributed to it. I was popping out of 4th gear all the time with the heel toe, I rarely do it now with pegs and regular shifter
I found even in the short time I had it on there I did tend to leave my heel on the shifter if I did not think about it. It also always felt very sloppy shifting in all gears.

All that said, I know a few (previous owner of mine for one) that love them and have no real issue with them, but I still stand by my statement of the need for a shift shaft stabilizer from peppilepew is even more important with a heel toe (but even without one you should get one (e-bay link).

I sold my boards and heel toe to a member here, and last I heard, he still liked them.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

My first Wing (GL1200) came with floorboards. I never had them before. Kinda liked them. When I got my GL1500 it was the first thing on my Christmas list. Had them for a long time and never had an issue. Never even tried to rest my foot on the shifter. The whole idea of boards is to able to shift my feet around. Never had an extra bracket for the shift lever either.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Solo So Long
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 50th Anniversary SE
1989 GL1500 FOR SALE
1983 GL1100 Interstate (ready to repair)
A pack of Super Cubs
Formerly (in order):
Honda Super Cub (bought 1968, sold ?)
Kawasaki Coyote (early 1970s)
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Honda Super Cubs (various years)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Kawasaki KZ1000P (various years, 1980 - 2005)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)
BMW R1200RT-P (various years 2007 - 2018, NEVER AGAIN)

Post by Solo So Long »

I put a LOT of miles on Kawasakis with boards, over a 30-year time frame. One of the things that I really missed when going to the BMWs was having pegs, but I put a lot of miles on them, too, 10 years' worth. I can ride either style.

I LIKE boards, but not enough to spend the money to put them on. In the past couple of years, I can only think of twice that I really was sorry not to have them -- the pegs on the 1500 are kind of a hybrid between pegs and boards anyhow.

You NEED the shifter brace. viewtopic.php?t=19760

You also need the discipline to keep your left foot away from the shifter when not shifting, and learn to shift with pressure, rather than stabbing at it. As you bring in the clutch, just begin to press down on the appropriate pedal, and let the transmission shift when it's ready (when you do this right, you can float the gear change without using the clutch, but use it anyhow).
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

I prefer pegs. Tell me if I am wrong. One of the arguments for boards is foot placement. ??? Well , I can rest my toes on the pegs, I can rest my arch on the pegs, I can rest my heels on the pegs and I can move my toes up or down on the pegs. Again where am I going wrong using pegs?
Andy Cote

Post by Andy Cote »

dingdong wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:53 pm I prefer pegs. Tell me if I am wrong.
Who are we to tell you your preference? Ride the way you like.

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

Andy Cote wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:35 pm
dingdong wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:53 pm I prefer pegs. Tell me if I am wrong.
Who are we to tell you your preference? Ride the way you like.
Just offering a counter argument to pegs vs boards or boards vs pegs. I thought that was what this thread was about.??? Jeez!
blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

dingdong wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:53 pm I prefer pegs. Tell me if I am wrong. One of the arguments for boards is foot placement. ??? Well , I can rest my toes on the pegs, I can rest my arch on the pegs, I can rest my heels on the pegs and I can move my toes up or down on the pegs. Again where am I going wrong using pegs?
But you can't rest your entire foot on the peg at once.
While I did not like floor boards overall, on a long highway trip, the floor boards had their advantages of being able to really rest and relax your legs. You did not have to balance or think about where your feet were, they were just there.

As I said before, I prefer pegs on the 1500.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE
Andy Cote

Post by Andy Cote »

Okay then. Was not meant as a criticism. Actually just the opposite. Each of us has our own preference and I respect your personal choice and do not consider your choice to be wrong.

glrider7
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500

Post by glrider7 »

Thanks for all the replies. It seems the main point is not rest your foot on the shifter (heel or toe). Fortunately this is not a problem for me as I clearly make sure my entire foot is flat on the board, therefore not touching the shifter at all. One disadvantage I have seen is that you have to live your foot every time you shift. As someone mentioned city vs highway driving, this is not much of a problem on the highway but would be much more in the city. I have started a practice of slowing down long before a red light so I don't always have to shift all the way down. Sometimes down to 3 is enough. This is the first time I have had boards with 4 GW's I have owned. I did have a time when my foot has slipped in wet weather so I thought the boards would be better, but I see there is pros and cons in both. Thanks again guys. This site is amazing.
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

I bought a 1994 1500SE about 10 years or so ago and it had floorboards and heel/toe shifter on it when I got it. I rode it for a while with them and it was comfortable to be able to rest your feet on the boards. I had some issues with that setup though that made me decide to get some OEM foot pegs and a shifter arm to go back to the stock configuration.
1st: I had to lift my foot up off the board to reach the rear brake pedal. That was a safety issue for me.
2nd: The boards would drag the pavement too easily, even with just a slight lean into a corner.
3rd: When I put my foot down at a stop, I had to reach out to the side before touching the ground. That is a problem if you are on a slight angle.
For those reasons, I decided I would go back to stock and I sold the floorboards to another member that wanted some.