Died then came back to life

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with Insta trike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT(sold, glad to see the back of it)

Died then came back to life

Post by agedbikeman »

Hello, Any ideas on this one, yesterday engine was idling while I put on helmet, suddenly it all died all lights went out, dash display dead, just as thought battery was not connected, moved kill switch, all came back to life started and ran ok, moved kill switch again acted as normal, started a few times stopping with kill switch, all normal, not done it since, been running perfectly.

I'm worried it will happen again and not come bac to life in the middle of nowhere.

Any input welcome

Alex

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Re: Died then came back to life

Post by AZgl1800 »

I suggest that the Kill Switch is not being operated enough to keep the contacts clean.

Swiping it back and forth, cleaned off the surface of the contacts.

Just stay close to home for a few tens of miles, until you feel all is well again.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

From the title, I'm thinking you now have a zombie bike?
Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

My 92 Interstate did something like that but, I was on the road with a group. After trailering it home I found that years and miles of vibration at the handlebar had loosened the connection screws under the kill switch. I removed the switch and tightened the screws and never had that problem again. Every couple of years, I remove the switch again and recheck those screws to be sure they don't come loose again. But, a little blue locktite would have been useful on the screw threads.
Russell

If I don't do Facebook or Twitter, do I still have to do Social Media Distancing??
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
agedbikeman

Post by agedbikeman »

Thanks for your input guys but surely if the kill switch was bad contact all the lights and dashboard and digital display would have stayed on only the engine would have stopped but absolutely everything was dead.
1995 aspencade 55000 miles, been riding it still working ok, fault not re appeared.

Thanks again
Alex.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Correct, the kill switch will not affect the lights and everything else.

Check:

- Master fuse (actually remove and inspect it for cracks)
- Battery terminals for tightness or corrosion
- Battery cables, where they clamp onto the battery as well as at the other ends, for looseness or corrosion
agedbikeman

Post by agedbikeman »

FOUND IT
After going for the main 55amp fuse as wing admin suggested, wasn't that, so I started brutally pulling and pushing everything near it, pushed on the starter solenoid and it went dead, pushed again and came back to life, removed battery so I could get a good look at the solenoid, one nut was not loose but certainly wasn't tight, then I noticed I could pull the plug off the solenoid without squeezing the side clips, a few weeks ago I changed the solenoid as I do every year, but obviously didn't push the plug in until it clicked, was really hard pushing it in far enough, but with a squeeze with long nose pliers, it clicked in, BINGO now I can wiggle and pull as much as I like and it doesn't go off.

Lesson learned, don't just push it in, make sure it clicks and can't pull out without squeezing the side clips.

Thanks for everyones input

Alex
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Why do you change the solenoid every year? Just wondering.
agedbikeman

Post by agedbikeman »

My wing is a trike and reverse gear is used a lot, probably more than it was intended, about 18 months ago the solenoid stuck on, I didn't know until a short stop, then no battery as the starter motor was running for about 20 miles, cost me 100 euros to get it home, plus inconvenience +++, now 11 euros for a solenoid every year sounds a better option to me, I also have a light on the dash that comes on when I press the starter button, early warning device. 1500's are prone to solenoid jamming anyway, it's mentioned a few times on this site. I decided to make it a service item.

Thanks for asking may help others to not get caught with this problem

Alex
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Ok, it's a preventative measure because of the heavy use of reverse. Thanks for your answer.
agedbikeman

Post by agedbikeman »

Correct,
I've heard it said even if not a trike, good to change it every couple of years, what's 11bucks to a pile of aggravation.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

I like the idea of a "starter energized" light on the dash as a preventative measure. I might do that one...
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

WingAdmin wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:56 am I like the idea of a "starter energized" light on the dash as a preventative measure. I might do that one...
I did that on a Toyota Celica a long time ago. It would spin up the starter while you were driving down the road, and you really couldn't hear it unless you had the hood open. After going back to the dealer for 3 starters under warranty, I added the light as a stop gap, since the only way I was going to see that dealer again was in court. The big issue was that it was so rare that I was never able to track it down. It would do it maybe two or three times a year. After I installed the light it only did it three times before I sold the car. When the light came on you just had to cycle the key to fix it. You could even just hit the clutch and do it going down the road. It still annoys me that I never made the time to track it down.
bb1040
Motorcycle: Honda 1986 Gl1200i

Post by bb1040 »

I had a problem like yours, took a while to find it, and just found it by mistake . after years of riding my GL1200 the body of the solenoid next to the battery had worn through the rubber cover and shorted out the entire system , I put some insolation between that and the frame where it was rubbing and everything was working fine again. It was shorting out the main lead from the battery, so it was not even going through any fuses. it just cut the power coming from the battery and sent it right back to the battery by passing all the fuses.
erkmann
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE
1997 GL1500 SE

Post by erkmann »

Any support for the idea of replacing it as preventative maintenance? $70.00!
tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper »

At 11 euros each, those must be aftermarket solenoids? I just looked at the two relays on my GL1800, and the best I could do was, IIRC, about $55 for one and $75 for the other, even though the only difference is the color of the plug on the end, blue or red.
'03 GL1800A - Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Sense of humor not found on line 2
Fatboy46
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade with Roadsmith Trike kit

Post by Fatboy46 »

Rambozo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:31 pm
WingAdmin wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:56 am I like the idea of a "starter energized" light on the dash as a preventative measure. I might do that one...
I did that on a Toyota Celica a long time ago. It would spin up the starter while you were driving down the road, and you really couldn't hear it unless you had the hood open. After going back to the dealer for 3 starters under warranty, I added the light as a stop gap, since the only way I was going to see that dealer again was in court. The big issue was that it was so rare that I was never able to track it down. It would do it maybe two or three times a year. After I installed the light it only did it three times before I sold the car. When the light came on you just had to cycle the key to fix it. You could even just hit the clutch and do it going down the road. It still annoys me that I never made the time to track it down.
Rambozo--- I see you are in Sunny Sothern California.. heat soak can do that to a starter.. I had that issue with the throttle control on an 89 Buick Regal. here in Texas. 100+ days are common. The engine would start fine-- then the idle speed would run up! not fun in a parking lot!! or still in PARK!! I wonder if wrapping the starter with some insulation would have fixed it? It did on a 72 Ranchero I had..
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Fatboy46 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:43 pm Rambozo--- I see you are in Sunny Sothern California.. heat soak can do that to a starter.. I had that issue with the throttle control on an 89 Buick Regal. here in Texas. 100+ days are common. The engine would start fine-- then the idle speed would run up! not fun in a parking lot!! or still in PARK!! I wonder if wrapping the starter with some insulation would have fixed it? It did on a 72 Ranchero I had..
I was in Oregon back then. Maybe it didn't like the rain.