air suspension

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Skeldog
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100

air suspension

Post by Skeldog »

OK I went ahead and bought a 98 wing yesterday knowing it has a few ailments. one being the air compressor does not come on and I'll need to troubleshoot that and the tach does not work either. also need to order a right side mirror glass. hoping I can replace it without the shell. anyway any advice is apreciated.it does ride nice once the tires were aired up

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Re: air suspension

Post by bellboy40 »

About the air compressor: Are you working it properly? To increase or decrease air pressure in the air shock, you put the bike on the center stand, and with switch turned to On, ACC, or Park position, press the P. Check and Increase at the same time to increase pressure.
Press the P. Check and Decrease buttons at the same time to decrease pressure.
Skeldog

Post by Skeldog »

Thanks- I really did not know. I will go try that. naturally I did not get a manual. I need to search ebay or such and see if I can find a manual. also need to find a right side morror glass. this one is broke but the pieces are stil in there. I had hopes of finding a replacement glass on ebay but only find complete mirror sets. maybe I can get one cut st a glass shop. I don't know if it's possible to get the old glass out without destroying the shell or maybe better to try gluing right on top of the three pieces the original that's still there.
Skeldog

Post by Skeldog »

that did get the air suspension working. the tach started working on it's own.went by a glass shop and they're going to cut me a mirror. about all other than replacing brake pads when they come in is I'd like to get the cruise to work. I'm kinda wondering if that isn't a common ailment for them. and I'd be OK if I could find a reasonable priced friction lock for the throttle.haven't looked yet
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

There are a few common problems for the cruise control. Most are easy to fix. (bad switches, clean or replace)
Describe your problems.
Skeldog

Post by Skeldog »

since I've never had one I don't know how it's supposed to act but the button that appears to push to lock in just comes right back out and doesn't seem to turn the system on.
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

That is a very common problem. It's from not being used, and the grease inside gets old and sticky. Not too hard to take apart and clean out. Some folks have even gotten lucky and just sprayed some plastic safe contact cleaner through the gaps, while working the switch.
Mine was like that when I got it, and after a number of tries I got it to stay on. So now I just leave it that way until I have time to clean everything out. The mute switch and hazard flasher switch also get the same condition. Once you get that switch sorted out and the cruise light is on, next you will have to see if it will set. There are a handful of safety switches, that can get out of adjustment or go bad, but pretty easy to track down and cheap to replace. I didn't think I would use the cruise control much, but I do all the time. First bike I've had with that feature.
Skeldog

Post by Skeldog »

OK I'll give that a try. I have spray contact cleaner
Skeldog

Post by Skeldog »

Thanks for the tips- got the clock to set,air compressor working rides fine, only thing not now other than that add on set of gages is the cruise. I did spray contact cleaner in around the switches and worked them and got the light to come on the panel saying cruise is on but doesn't set. when I get more time I'll get the switch set open and see if I can do anymore. I didn't get the button to lock in but I put a zip tie around to hold it in so the indicator light stayed on. but still no cruise. if that's the worst thing I run into I'll look for an aftermarket throttle lock. I'd be fine with that because it worked great on my 82 wing. this one has a set of soft grips with a chrome plated ring at the end which might not allow a lock to fit. I guess I'll eventually find something. thanks again for all the help
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Here is a pretty good rundown of checking the cruise switches. The video quality is awful, but the info is good.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

One easy check is to try setting it while pushing the clutch lever out, then the front brake lever. Play in those and old switches can sometimes make it easy to diagnose while riding.
agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with Insta trike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT(sold, glad to see the back of it)

Post by agedbikeman »

Mirror Glass only, loads on ebay less than 10 bucks

Air pump, switches easy to get apart but work over a bowl, bits can jump out when least expected, if you dismantle one take photos as you go, somtimes not obvious on assembly.
Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Post by Sassy »

Congrats on the find!
Suprised no one had mentioned the cam belts.
If you don't know their history maybe consider changing them.
Fred
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
Skeldog

Post by Skeldog »

Thank- that is an excellent video but you're right the quality is awful and for sure it mentions some great ways to test. and also thanks for the reminder on the cam belts. I do need to check on whether those were ever changed. I did it on my 82 and hopefully they are not any harder. but from everything I've seen on this bike there are a whole lot more complicated things to handle
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

GL1500 belts really not much different from the 1100, just more plastic to fiddle with. You can get away with removing minimal plastic to do this, just the front plastic behind the front wheel below the radiators. The timing belt covers can be removed without disconnecting the coolant lines, but when I did mine I went ahead and drained the coolant, too. Good time to change coolant. You have to remove more plastic to do that, though, to get to the radiator cap.

If you are working on the bike to this depth, it is worthwhile removing other plastic and doing other maintenance while you are in there, such as Cruise and Sub filters, new coolant, maybe sparkplugs and main air filter.

This "How-To" will show you how to get the relevant plastic off.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11036

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark