oil quality

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Skeldog
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100

oil quality

Post by Skeldog »

I know I'm hitting the list with too many questions but I stopped by oreilly's while I was in town. picked up oil and filter for my 98 1500. told them I wanted synthetic for wet clutch motorcycles. they said they had Lucas and mobil. I said lets go with Lucas since it was about a buck cheaper. got home and drained the oiland was about to open the first bottle and see it says semisynthetic for UTV's and ATV's. I suspect it is plenty good for the wing but has anyone had a problem with it? I'm not wanting to start oil wars. I just figured I had full synthetic. my own fault once again for not reading the bottle.

blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Re: oil quality

Post by blupupher »

I would return it and get Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-40 from Walmart for a few buck cheaper.

I have never been a fan of anything made by Lucas, while some of their products are OK, many of their products have snake oil claims to some even being possibly harmful (Lucas oil stabilizer is the worst).
And yes, I know somebody will come on and say "I have been using the oil stabilizer for decades", but when you actually look at what it contains, it is nothing more than an oil thickening agent.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

blupupher wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:52 pm I would return it and get Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-40 from Walmart for a few buck cheaper.
Agree! If they are out of Mobil1 High Mileage, try Shell Rotella.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Skeldog
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100

Post by Skeldog »

well I'd been using the rotella T-4 in the 82. seems like I'd read to avoid the synthetics in it, but I know some of the rotellas now are synthetic. I guess either would be OK in the 98. I just don't want to use anything that would be harmful to the clutch. the Lucas stuff does say it's good for wetclutches. the semi-synthetic tells me iy must be a blend
blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

Skeldog wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:43 pm well I'd been using the rotella T-4 in the 82. seems like I'd read to avoid the synthetics in it, but I know some of the rotellas now are synthetic. I guess either would be OK in the 98. I just don't want to use anything that would be harmful to the clutch. the Lucas stuff does say it's good for wetclutches. the semi-synthetic tells me iy must be a blend
Any of the Rotella's would be fine (T4 (conventional), T5 (blend), or T6 (synthetic)).
I know some (over several bike brands and models) have had some complaints in the past 2 years with 5w-40 T6 not lasting as long after it's reformulation for new API standards, but most have not had any problems.

1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE