phone charger

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
jdn40
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Aspencade Trike

phone charger

Post by jdn40 »

looking to add a phone charger port . was thinking a cigarette lighter then I could just plug the wire in . thoughts , ideas ? and where would be a good place to wire it in .

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Re: phone charger

Post by AZgl1800 »

I put a Cig Charger socket in the left rear, passenger's cuby hole.
you have to find a small plug to fit behind the glove box lid, but it works great.
the little small, thin, charger cord to the phone does not keep the lid from closing, I place the phone in the trunk, or stuffed into a backpack if it is riding pillion.

I thought about just putting a Cig Charger socket in the trunk, but the cubby hole was easier, and no holes had to be drilled into the trunk that would allow rain/water it creep in.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc
jdn40

Post by jdn40 »

where did you wire the cig charger socket ? i was going to put mine in the left front pocket . my phone mount is on the clamp for the clutch . i use the phone for blu tooth so i need it up front
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

Strongly consider *not* using a 'cigarette lighter' port for charging. They are notorious for vibrating loose over time.

Consider this - or equivalent:

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Module ... B0918CR35N

This can live under your left-side cubby. A good, quality cable of your choosing goes from the USB connector up to the handlebar for your phone charging needs. If the cable dies, a replacement can be sourced from about anywhere. When not in use, it just tucked away near the clutch reservoir.

I put mine on using the same Sumitomo power connector that's on the bike, so mine is plug-and-play. I've used the same one now for five years on two bikes; zero issues.
Effective 09/29/2021, in a self-imposed "social media detox" - focusing on offline social interactions and actions.
jdn40

Post by jdn40 »

kwthom wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:03 am Strongly consider *not* using a 'cigarette lighter' port for charging. They are notorious for vibrating loose over time.

Consider this - or equivalent: yeah I get it but I smoke so might be nice to have

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Module ... B0918CR35N

This can live under your left-side cubby. A good, quality cable of your choosing goes from the USB connector up to the handlebar for your phone charging needs. If the cable dies, a replacement can be sourced from about anywhere. When not in use, it just tucked away near the clutch reservoir.

I put mine on using the same Sumitomo power connector that's on the bike, so mine is plug-and-play. I've used the same one now for five years on two bikes; zero issues.
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

jdn40 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:25 am yeah I get it but I smoke so might be nice to have
That circuit won't light up an actual lighter; not enough current capacity on that circuit.

You'd need to do a direct-wire from battery to a real cigarette lighter socket...but that's only plastic it's mounted in. No telling if the heating of the lighter element might warp that left-side cubby box.

Zippo for the win.

Effective 09/29/2021, in a self-imposed "social media detox" - focusing on offline social interactions and actions.