LCD screen went blank and took out several bike functions

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Tileman851
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500SE

LCD screen went blank and took out several bike functions

Post by Tileman851 »

Hope someone can help as I have searched all over the Internet and though my problem is not new no one has has said how to exactly correct it. On a recent ride the LCD screen on the 1993 1500SE went blank and then I noticed the cruise control would no longer set ,the self canceling blinkers would not cancel,and later discovered the air compressor no longer worked. I have ordered and replaced the LCD glass which was fairly straight forward with the online videos from Tanin Electronixs but no functions returned and screen stayed blank. Several posts around the Internet talked of humidity, dirty contacts and weak battery but not one I found mentioned a cure or why these systems all went out with LCD panel. If just the LCD panel was blank I could learn to live with that but no cruise control or canceling blinkers as well as no air compressor for my aftermarket air shocks is a lot to give up. I am no electronics guru so I wonder if the circuit boards behind the display play into this. I have cleaned every connector throughout the bike, checked all the fuses and relays (used CRC cleaner for plastic) and looked for shorts. The battery is fairly new and checks out at 12.9 with my cheap multimeter. If anyone has heard of an answer to this problem I would love to hear it as the bike is still tore down in my garage. :?:

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Re: LCD screen went blank and took out several bike functions

Post by Swagonmaster »

When you checked the fuses and relays did you test them with your multimeter or test light or just look at them? I see that the accessory fuse #10, powers the LCD, speed pulser (cruise and distance turn signal cancel) and air pressure control switch, all of which will have some part of your issues.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
Tileman851

Post by Tileman851 »

Thanks for responding. Yes- I tested each fuse for power going in and out of each fuse as well as power going into the fuse panel through the top accessory terminals. Even pulled all the fuses and CRC cleaned all the contacts and replaced the fuses —put a new one in #10 because this had been mentioned in a post I read. Had to move the saddlebag but then pulled all the relays and the “memory” fuse at the bottom and CRC cleaned those contacts and replaced. Swapped all the relays around so as to see if a random relay might be causing the problem. Now I have ordered and received two relays from GoldwingDocs store so I would have spares. As mentioned in the post I CRC cleaned as many connections as I could from the key switch to the back in the hopes something would pop out. Used up to four cans of CRC cleaner(made for plastic) in doing this but no luck. Some people have said theirs just started back on its own and that’s great but I’m more of a “what caused it guy”. If you can think or come up with any other suggestions I will try them. Thanks again for taking the time to answer.
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

Do I understand correctly that the turn signals work ok but don't cancel? Just as a SWAG test pull the seat and check the pins in the large harness connectors, they are famous for having issues that can be hard to find. Plus it's easy being right under the seat.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
Tileman851

Post by Tileman851 »

You are correct in that the blinkers work normally but do not cancel and will stay on till I manually stop them. Looked under the seat but there are some aftermarket wiring for a receiver trailer hitch and a CD player so I had to move things around to find what I think you were talking about. Will try and include photos where my wife is pointing to a fuse fusible link cover with a relay next to it. I had never even noticed these as many times as I have worked on the bike. The dogbone fuse seemed OK but I will meter it when I can but I did replace the omron relay with one of the new ones I ordered but there was no change in the LCD. The other picture is the seat area if you need to describe the spot you were talking about. I should be clear that the only things I can check on the bike is the LCD and the air compressor as it is not rideable at this time with the dash on my workbench however if I can not come up with an answer I will but the bike back together and possibly address this in the winter. Thanks for your reply and I hope the pictures come through.
Attachments

Fusible link and relay
Fusible link and relay

Under seat
Under seat

Dash cluster on workbench
Dash cluster on workbench

Condition of bike
Condition of bike

Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

You are looking for the connector that joins the front and rear wiring harness, 22 pin connectors that have hard plastic covers one on each side of the bike in the area of the ground with two green wires seen in the second picture. Extra power demands from aftermarket lights etc. can cause especially the ground pin to overheat and get iffy and I see several add on fuses on your bike.
I was also looking in the shop manual on the lcd display and it said to check for power on three wires going to the instrument panel. They are light green/black, black/brown and red/yellow. Since the cluster is out it would be a good time to do that and I'm really wondering why that lcd doesn't work at all.
Tileman851

Post by Tileman851 »

Thanks for hanging with me! Took two more pictures which show three hard case enclosures of the type you are referring to. Had to make these quick as I have doctors appointment and other errands to run today. Two cases are on one side and one on the other but I will have to cut cable ties and disconnect connections to get to all of them and one is so low it might require removal of the right saddlebag. Got to run but will check when I can. Thanks again.
Attachments

Enclosure
Enclosure

Enclosure
Enclosure

Tileman851

Post by Tileman851 »

Been a while since I had anything to post but now I can finally say the bike is fixed and I think I now know what the problem was. After cleaning every contact I could see and ordering a new LCD glass nothing seemed to work. Decided to try eBay and as luck would have it someone had a used dash cluster for a 93 SE listed for $228.00 and I jumped on it. The cluster was definitely used but everything worked and between it and mine I was able to come up with one attractive cluster. Just to try and see what happened I swapped out the LCD for the new one I had bought and it worked. Swapping LCD components back and forth and trying them on the bike the problem seems to be with either the circuit boards behind the LCD(most likely)and/or the wiring to the boards. Basically all I used from the used cluster was the circuit boards with my components off my bike. In hindsight the thing to do might have been to test the two plugs from the bike to the dash cluster pin by pin to determine if power was getting to the cluster and go from there. I am not an electronic expert so I cannot test the bad circuit board but from my juggling things around this would seem to be the problem. As another point of interest all the stopped functions(cruise control,air compressor self canceling blinkers) are all working again. For the money I got lucky and now I have extra tach, speedometer, and bulbs should I need them. This will close my problem and I hope it can be of use to others.