Sequential Turn Signals on Trailer

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
okie2ee
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda Goldwing 1500 Interstate
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Sequential Turn Signals on Trailer

Post by okie2ee »

In the never ending quest to be different, I added sequential turn signals to my trailer...............besides adding to the overall visibility of the bike and trailer, it looks kinda neat................fabrication involved using an Arduino Nano to handle the sequencing and driving the MOSFET power switches which power up the lights..............alot of overkill for the project but the overall cost was around $25..............the hard part was all the wiring required to put the project together..............I ended up using 3M VHB tape to the mount the SS panel to the back of the trailer..........I'm impressed with the strength of the tape..............if you would like any more information, let me know

I recorded a YouTube video for light display..............

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: Sequential Turn Signals on Trailer

Post by Andy Cote »

Nice job.

2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Not really overkill. Now days it's easier to do that kind of stuff in software with a micro than it would be to make the circuitry required in either analog or digital electronics. I use microcontrollers to do all the emergency lighting on our service trucks. It not only allows for changing strobe patterns that really get peoples attention, but I can also sneak in secret messages in high speed Morse code, in the flash patterns. ;)
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Rambozo wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:23 am Not really overkill. Now days it's easier to do that kind of stuff in software with a micro than it would be to make the circuitry required in either analog or digital electronics. I use microcontrollers to do all the emergency lighting on our service trucks. It not only allows for changing strobe patterns that really get peoples attention, but I can also sneak in secret messages in high speed Morse code, in the flash patterns. ;)
I do it out of laziness. Could I design a BBD driven by a 555 or something that would do the same thing? Of course. But I can also just write 40 lines of code to do it and use the same exact hardware I've used before, and not have to think about it.

When I built my "Bike PC" (runs on a Teensy++ processor), after I had implemented it, I realized that I had made a mistake in one of the circuits, that would mean I would have to tear it apart and modify the PCB in order to fix it.

But after thinking about it a bit, I realized that I could actually "fix" the problem in software without modifying anything, so that's what I did. I love having this as an option!
seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Post by seelyark1 »

That's great, but you know what you are doing. I can turn on the key! LOL I have to ask my grandchildren how to get my phone to work right.

Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave