Left Rad Fan removal - please no!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
snowhntr
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing 1500

Left Rad Fan removal - please no!

Post by snowhntr »

Hi guys!
My first post to GWDocs!
I need to get the left radiator cooling fan off and replaced. Ran 12v and ground to right fan - works, left fan was locked up, which is probably why the fuse was blown.
Now I have the plastic off exposing the fan, and the left pocket and seat and radio console all removed. I have the two bolts off the front of the housing, and I understand there is a third one on the back side that I have to get removed.
Is there an actual way to get this fan off and replaced off without having to tear the whole upper plastics and light and windshield and all that other stuff off?
I read something about a screw somewhere that holds an air duct in place that can be removed to give better access?
I see the big obstacle to getting the left fan out is a giant wiring harness stuck to the top of the fan housing.... can this be separated by just prying on the outside?
I wont bother asking why Honda decided to mount a huge wiring harness to a fan housing, but I am stuck and can use any advise I can get!
Thanks!

snowhntr
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing 1500

Re: Left Rad Fan removal - please no!

Post by snowhntr »

Follow up and apology....
So I did get the fan out. It was one of those "just walk away for an hour and come back to it" things. I got frustrated, made a membership and posted before slowing down and reloading so to speak.
Found the bolt holding the air duct running along that left side and was able to remove the fan once that was out of the way.
Got a used one on eBay from guy an hour away from me, that I am sure will take an entire week to get here.... meanwhile contemplating installing a bypass switch.
Thoughts?
Anyone done this on a 1500?
jdn40
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Aspencade Trike

Post by jdn40 »

snowhntr wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:13 am Follow up and apology....
So I did get the fan out. It was one of those "just walk away for an hour and come back to it" things. I got frustrated, made a membership and posted before slowing down and reloading so to speak.
Found the bolt holding the air duct running along that left side and was able to remove the fan once that was out of the way.
Got a used one on eBay from guy an hour away from me, that I am sure will take an entire week to get here.... meanwhile contemplating installing a bypass switch.
Thoughts?
yup , the walk away and think about it has saved me a lot of times .
Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Post by Sassy »

jdn40 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:57 am
snowhntr wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:13 am Follow up and apology....
Thoughts?
yup , the walk away and think about it has saved me a lot of times .
I completely understand the walk away thing but it took about 40 years for it to happen for me. I think it was about the sametime I went gray!
I blame the instant temper on the red hair I used to have!
I can't count the times I've gone back to say sorry for some stupid outburst.
Oh and go looking for the damn anvil I threw out of the shop!,,, lol
Fred

Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred