New Buyer Concerns

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
JFootman02
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

New Buyer Concerns

Post by JFootman02 »

In need of some expert advice, please. Looking at a '99 GL1500 SE with 40k mi on the odometer. The obvious issue is a cracked fairing by the left knee that appears secondary to laying it down although there're no scratches on the plastic so I assume it was at a standstill. More concerning are a few quirks but being new to the Goldwings not to mention my perspective was drastically skewed when comparing my '83 Yamaha Venture & I definitely fell in love with the Goldwings!

First off I expected a "purr" from the engine but it wasn't as smooth & quiet as I expected. Full choke to start but just seemed ever so slightly rough even once the choke was off. I rode it for about 20 minutes and it didn't settle out after riding. My first thought is carbs but I'm no mechanic (although I've turned a bunch of wrenches on the Venture!).

The next concern was an ever so subtle "vibration" in the pegs while riding that seemed to alternate between the left and right pegs (occasionally both). It was very subtle but was intermittent and typically only occurred when coasting. Once I gave it some gas it dissipated. It initially seemed to be influenced by any lean including corners but would occur on straightaways as well. Appeared to occur in multiple gears and speeds. Seller could not recall feeling this "sensation". First thought here was bearings but again, I'm relying on y'all to point me in the right direction.

The last one only occurred once at the very end of my ride and occurred when I was hard braking. A clicking noise that was very prominent occurred and seemed to come from the front end. I alternated between the front & rear brake & even downshifted but the noise didn't cease until I slowed to a near complete stop. It didn't sound like ABS kicking in although I don't know how it sounds on a bike and if these even had ABS. I asked the seller about it and he first asked if I was applying the front or rear brake and when I told him both (and neither) he said he'd heard it before and "guess I should take it in". This really frustrated me as I asked him repeatedly if there were any issues, quirks, etc and even threw out the "if you were giving this to your son what would you tell him he needs to do to it?"

He's asking $4k OBO. He was by no means pushy (in fact just the opposite as he tried to encourage me to look at the GL1800's). Definitely not cherry but I could overlook the aesthetics if I was convinced it was mechanically sound. I HATE haggling but was thinking of offering him $2800 or $3k although I suspect he'll settle at $3500. I just don't want to get it and have to dump another $1-$2k in repairs especially if I'm paying more than $3k.

Any help would be much appreciated. He would be willing to let me ride it again although it's an hour south of us & I'm hoping this is enough info to encourage considering it or running away. There's another nearly identical '99 SE an hour east of us that is "excellent" and has 46k mi although they're asking $4900 OBO and a third I'm considering which is my favorite but 3.5 hours away and it's a'98 Aspencade that's also "excellent" with 49k and asking $4k OBO. I know there are a lot of variables to consider but what would you do??? Thank you all in advance!!!

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Re: New Buyer Concerns

Post by AZgl1800 »

from the description you just gave, $2800 is top dollar,
1800-2200 might be closer to what it is worth.

to make that ride truly good for you, I suspect you would have to drop another $1k in parts on it.

I would run away and look for an early 1800

mine is an '02 and runs like a top with 115,000 miles on it.
it just got a thorough clutch master & slave cylinders repair job.
I bought all new working parts for it, threw all the old seals, o-rings, springs, etc in the trash.

the cost was very minor, my brain is more at ease with all new parts if you have to open up hydraulics.
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Post by Sassy »

I bought an '89 last fall with 3 times the mileage your looking at and when I first rode it I was like you every little thing got my brain going,, what is that!!
Tires changed everything including that "little vibration".
Ive checked most bearings, brakes etc but tires were the only real problem.
I paid about 2500 USD, spent another 6-700 now happy.
Hope it works out for you which ever way you go.
Fred
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Most times any rough idling can be helped with one or two heavy doses of Seafoam. Especially true on bikes that are for sale as they probably have been sitting move than running. New spark plugs never hurt. But it certainly could be a sign of something bigger.

Buzzing in the pegs or bars could be several things but a common issue is tires at their mid-life, underinflated and/or have a slight cupping. Highly suspect since it changes with lean angle.

Clicking could be a bearing, the driveshaft u-joint, the speedometer drive cable or many other things. Now add that to the peg vibration and I might lean towards a u-joint. Put bike on centerstand and rotate the tire to listen to the drive line.

You are not in a hurry. Go try out those others and see if one "speaks" to you or if you feel the same sensations.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Post by Sassy »

From what I read on the forum and personal knowledge I was sure I had a ujoint problem.
Found a deal here on the forum for a new one
so purchaced and installed but the removed joint was perfect. Shouldda changed the tire first.
Fred
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif »

to many problems for a bike with that low of miles on it. Unless you can do the work you night have a hard time finding a shop to work on it. Lots of shops will not work on a bike that old. Keep looking. If you look at an 1800 Wing I would not go older than an 05. many of the early 1800 wings had many recalls and service bulletins. The worst one is frame cracking. some cracks happened in placed that Honda did not reweld in the recall. good luck in your search.I had an 02 and loved it but when I got my 08 I didn't have to worry about the frame problems

IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
JFootman02
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Post by JFootman02 »

Well, I guess it's time to change my profile... picked up a 2003 Goldwing (non-ABS & post recall) last week with 68k for $5k. Deep gouge on right side saddlebag, left passenger speaker blown, left passenger "trunk door" missing, pulsations on both front & rear brakes (warped disks?) and in need of a deep clean otherwise not much to do to her. Aftermarket passenger floorboards, driver's backrest, driving lights, chrome front wheel otherwise looks pretty stock. Of course compared to my '83 Venture it's a night and day experience and couldn't be happier. Just under my "I want a Goldwing before I turn 50" goal!!! Even better the missus loves it so hoping to enjoy many miles together on it. Thx to all who have contributed and looking forward to legitimately joining the community!