2000 GL1500 smoking from both sides on startup on centerstand...

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Red Wing
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE

2000 GL1500 smoking from both sides on startup on centerstand...

Post by Red Wing »

I'm a new member here who just bought a 2000 GL1500 with 50k miles a couple months ago.

When I got it, I noticed it smoked on start up. My father in law has had a few 1500s in the past and said it's pretty normal for them to smoke a little on start up if left on the side stand. So, I always put it on the center stand. Still smoked a little.

I recently changed the oil since I got it used and who knows when it had been last been changed. I used Rotella T6 15w-40. I figured going a tad heavier might help with the smoking.

The bike smokes a lot more now with the synthetic in it. I kind of thought that might happen.

But I've been thinking, should it really be smoking at all when on the center stand? Smoke is coming from both tail pipes. I've checked the oil level a few times. It was right at the top mark. I tried letting a little oil out and it's now a quarter of the way above the bottom mark. (And yes, I know not to screw the dipstick in) It still smokes.

I've tried using a lot less choke when starting it. Doesn't seem to change much.

The smoke is blue and smells like fuel. It also goes away immediately upon start up. It'll do it every day, too. It doesn't have to set up for weeks for this to happen.

I'm hoping this is just how these bikes are and going back to conventional will help, but I still worry since most people say the smoking should only be normal when left on the side stand.

Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

Re: 2000 GL1500 smoking from both sides on startup on centerstand...

Post by Snowmoer »

My 88 would smoke at startup if it sat for a couple of weeks. I always had it on the center stand. It always had conventional oil put in it before I got the bike, so I kept conventional in it. I used Rotella T4 conventional in the white jug. It sounds like those 21 year old seals do not like the synthetic oil. That is why I stayed with conventional on my older stuff that never had synthetic in them. Switch back to conventional and run it for a few days and see what it does.
blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

My '94 smoked a bit when I went to buy it. Guy said it had sat for about 2 months on the centerstand.
After than initial start up, it has never smoked that I have noted in over a year, but I only park on the centerstand.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Welcome to the forum. Where are you from?

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it. A little oil smoke on start for an antique engine would not concern me at all. If you want to stay with synthetic, try the Mobil 1 High-Mileage. It's not really for the mileage as it is for old seals.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

Red Wing wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:36 am I'm a new member here who just bought a 2000 GL1500 with 50k miles a couple months ago.

When I got it, I noticed it smoked on start up. My father in law has had a few 1500s in the past and said it's pretty normal for them to smoke a little on start up if left on the side stand. So, I always put it on the center stand. Still smoked a little.

I recently changed the oil since I got it used and who knows when it had been last been changed. I used Rotella T6 15w-40. I figured going a tad heavier might help with the smoking.

The bike smokes a lot more now with the synthetic in it. I kind of thought that might happen.

But I've been thinking, should it really be smoking at all when on the center stand? Smoke is coming from both tail pipes. I've checked the oil level a few times. It was right at the top mark. I tried letting a little oil out and it's now a quarter of the way above the bottom mark. (And yes, I know not to screw the dipstick in) It still smokes.

I've tried using a lot less choke when starting it. Doesn't seem to change much.

The smoke is blue and smells like fuel. It also goes away immediately upon start up. It'll do it every day, too. It doesn't have to set up for weeks for this to happen.

I'm hoping this is just how these bikes are and going back to conventional will help, but I still worry since most people say the smoking should only be normal when left on the side stand.
Forget about the oil. You have a carb problem.
Red Wing

Post by Red Wing »

dingdong wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:58 pm
Red Wing wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:36 am I'm a new member here who just bought a 2000 GL1500 with 50k miles a couple months ago.

Forget about the oil. You have a carb problem.
Any ideas? I'm getting 34mpg pretty consistently and the bike runs strong.
Red Wing

Post by Red Wing »

Andy Cote wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:32 pm Welcome to the forum. Where are you from?
Thanks! I'm from central Arkansas.
Earl43P
Motorcycle: 04 ST1300 DD
99 Valkyrie IS
93 GL1500I SOLD 3/29/20
82 GL1100 SOLD 3/3/17

Post by Earl43P »

Welcome!

Just as a data point, I put >56,000 miles on a 93 that I sold last year.
It also smoked just a little upon startup, but always cleared quickly.
I rode it 130 miles per day commuting for about 2-1/2 years, typically averaging 38-40mpg.
It would get 46-48mpg when my wife was on the back (she pokes me when I ride hard).

Seconding the notion that its carbs, not oil.
Recommend repeated doses of Berryman B12 in the fuel (I did not say SeaFoam).
1st dose, use about 1/2 can B12 in about 1/4 tank of gas and ride it with mixed traffic, some idling, not much highway. You should smell that in the exhaust.
Next few doses can be less concentrated, 1/2 can in full tank, then 1/4 can, etc. will smell it less.
After 2 full cans worth it should show some real improvement.

Would also wonder how rock steady is your idle, oscillating or not? Many carb hoses crack and cause vacuum leaks.

Report back!

When all else fails, RTFM!

04 ST1300 Bought 3/4/17, Daily Driver sort of
99 Valkyrie Interstate, “Favorite”
82 GL1100 Sold 3/3/17 (miss that ticket getter)
93 GL1500I SOLD 3/29/20