Mystery Stalling Out All of a Sudden

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
okie2ee
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda Goldwing 1500 Interstate
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Mystery Stalling Out All of a Sudden

Post by okie2ee »

Return trip from MN to OK and cruising down I-35 70-75 MPH, purring like a kitten, responsive to throttle..............stopped for gas in Nevada MO and filled the tank up to the top, level with the top of the tank filler neck, I pulled out and headed for the on ramp for the Interstate and half way up the ramp the engine began to die and about 3/4 of the way it quit, just shut down totally like no fuel. Sat for 15 minutes looking things over and trying to figure out what might be wrong. Finally, opened the gas cap and heard an air rushing sound and gas came pouring out of the tank. Tried again to start and it started, off and on my way, got up to speed and about 5 miles down the road it quit again. Removed the gas cap and waited awhile and it started up again and down the road I went and this time I made it about 9 miles before it quit again. This time I left the gas cap loose on the tank and tried going slowly down the highway. I made 22 miles going 45 MPH. I had another 4 -5 episodes of shutting down after traveling around 30 miles. Finally, after the last gas stop at 2:00 AM I was able to make my final run of 58 miles into Tulsa, I keep the speed at or below 45 MPH for fear that higher speed would cause it to stall. Started it up today with no problems, started right up, runs strong and smooth, hit 75 with no problem, put 5 miles on it with no issues.

So............any ideas at what I might need to check in order to prevent this from happening in the future.............every time it shut down it was like someone shut down the gas, no sputtering or coughing, just a smooth shut down. I always had to wait a period of time before it would start. Vapor locking crossed my mind but not sure this would be the symptom. Brother thought that maybe a particle may be floating around somewhere and plugging the gas line. New fuel filter this year.

4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Mystery Stalling Out All of a Sudden

Post by 4given »

Fuel shutoff vacuum line or diaphragm? Fuel cap needing a good soaking in sea foam?
“Fight the fight and do what is right“
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

Vacuum fuel shutoff or fuel pump. Probably not the cap since you ran with it loose and still had problem.
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

I am thinking the fuel pump is getting weak.

my '98SE did that, had been down in Tulsa for a while, and returning home to Oologah, I stopped in Collinsville for a bite to eat....

Back on 169 headed north and at about 2 miles it just shut down, I wasted a lot of time pulling fuses, but if I kept it at 40ish it would keep running, and I made it home w/o any more problems.

Once in the garage, a fuel pump test, ( Hold beaker 3 feet high, and apply power to pump ) proved that it was not filling up the glass beaker fast enough,

I put in a new pump, and that ended the problems for me.

~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc