Kuyakyn ISO Grips

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
todehnal
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500A Aspencade

Kuyakyn ISO Grips

Post by todehnal »

I mistakenly posted this in the wrong place. I just noticed a GL1500 specific forum. Oh well!!
Anyway I bought a set of ISO grips and am ready to install them on my 2000 model GL1500 which has the original grips. I think that the responders to my original post may have had more experience with 1800s. My grips have covered ends and it would seem difficult to use compressed air or WD40 spray tube to remove them. I also had a recommendation to use hair spray instead of the provided black widow tube glue. There was also some concern mentioned about being careful not to allow glue to contact the switch modules.
So, now that I am talking to the right group, does anyone have any words of wisdom, ideas, or experience on the subject? In particular, I was wondering how much time you have to get them positioned correctly before they seize.
Looking forward to any replies....Tom

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Re: Kuyakyn ISO Grips

Post by Swagonmaster »

While I've never used the adhesive you mentioned, I have had plenty of time to position the grips when replacing them. One thing I would recommend is being sure that the grips are where you want them to be when you put them on. When I installed mine I got the left grip a little high and forgot that the throttle grip is normally turned when in use so it was a little low.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
todehnal
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500A Aspencade

Re: Kuyakyn ISO Grips

Post by todehnal »

Thanks guys for all of the tips. The installation wet well and I like the new feel...........Tom