The how too articles for the 1500 are now too large and need sub categories adding

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
wingdings
Motorcycle: fff

The how too articles for the 1500 are now too large and need sub categories adding

Post by wingdings »

Hi - peeps do you used the 1500 - how too articles page??- Its certainly grown since I joined Goldwing Docs which can only be a good thing for all wing riders out there or newbie owners who have just brought their first wing.

The how-to articles are a god send I myself have used many of them and indeed have written some of the how too articles along with Scot (wing admin) and many others too.

However, the list is getting bigger and bigger and is taking too long to go through to get to the how to article you want do you agree?? -Yes?? . I had to take five pictures and scroll down the page also just to get to the bottom of the page there.

(See pictures below )

I think it's time that this page has a good sorting out! This could easily be achieved by adding sub category's - etc - like engine - Upgrade mods - General maintenance- Body work - These are just examples of sub category's, however, I think you would agree with me when I say when you are working on your wing hit a snag you don't want to have too trawl though a page full of how to articles to get to the one you want it's to hit and miss and you have to go through the whole list which takes time and effort thereby losing valuable working time on your wing.
thumbnail_20210831_212250.jpg

20210831_212314.jpg
20210831_212332.jpg
20210831_212332 (1).jpg
20210831_212350.jpg
Goldwing Docs -Is the first stop for any Goldwing rider -Come on-Scot!!- (Wing admin) Sort the page out do us all proud add the sub categories that is defiantly needed to sort out the sprawl the 1500 how too articles page has now become.

Too - All wing riders out there who use the Goldwing 1500 how to articles web page if you agree please leave your comments by replying back - Just maybe Scot (wing admin) will see this post and act on the comments left and also act on them too.

Lastly -
Message - Too - Scot (wing admin).

This post is in no way intended to cause offence to Goldwing Docs or the people who are employed there - it's a general observation of the page mentioned and a suggestion on how it could be possibly improved!! to help all Goldwing riders out there get the information they need faster and make the page more user friendly also.

Last edited by wingdings on Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: The how too articles for the 1500 are now too large and need sub categories adding

Post by WingAdmin »

This has actually been sorted in the new version of the site that continues to get worked on. Life interferes...but I do expect it to get released soon. I hope!
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: The how too articles for the 1500 are now too large and need sub categories adding

Post by Andy Cote »

Yes and there are some duplicates and others with extraneous posts within the threads and some common threads across several models. We all know how busy WingAdmin is so we all thank you for volunteering to clean these all up.

Seriously, I can't even imagine how much time, effort and money it takes to keep this site in operation. It is truly an invaluable resource to the worldwide Goldwing community. I am more than willing to accept a minor inconvenience of looking thru several threads just to have the opportunity of having those threads.

Thank you WingAdmin for all you do.
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
wingdings
Motorcycle: fff

Post by wingdings »

Fair play to you Scot and thank you for your speedy reply also there - Scot - I think wing owners everywhere will also be glad to hear that too Scot - Over the past ten years the 1500 how to articles page has grown and grown from its humble beginnings when you wrote the first how to articles to which inspired others to add their knowledge and experience and write their own articles since then the page has ballooned Scot. So very welcome news there indeed :D :D :D :D .
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
186K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
20K Miles

Post by MikeB »

wingdings wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:20 pm Hi - peeps do you used the 1500 - how too articles page??- Its certainly grown since I joined Goldwing Docs which can only be a good thing for all wing riders out there or newbie owners who have just brought their first wing.

The how-to articles are a god send I myself have used many of them and indeed have written some of the how too articles along with Scot (wing admin) and many others too.

However, the list is getting bigger and bigger and is taking too long to go through to get to the how to article you want do you agree?? -Yes?? . I had to take five pictures and scroll down the page also just to get to the bottom of the page there.
In the interim, you can use your browser's FIND or Find in Page function (Ctrl+F) while you are on the DIY page (/How-To-Articles-GL1500.asp) to find what you are looking for like, LED, Brakes, Seat, Lights, Drive Shaft, Switches etc. It always works for me.
Last edited by MikeB on Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Post by Sassy »

Yes! Since I bought my 1500 last fall I have used the "how to" page frequently getting the "Couch" rolling smooth. After spending extra time on a search for a specific how-to that I had seen while browsing I started bookmarking the relevant ones to work the bike required.
Sections would really help I'm sure.
Fred
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Post by 4given »

Andy Cote wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:03 pm Yes and there are some duplicates and others with extraneous posts within the threads and some common threads across several models. We all know how busy WingAdmin is so we all thank you for volunteering to clean these all up.

Seriously, I can't even imagine how much time, effort and money it takes to keep this site in operation. It is truly an invaluable resource to the worldwide Goldwing community. I am more than willing to accept a minor inconvenience of looking thru several threads just to have the opportunity of having those threads.

What Andy said (again). Thanks for your tireless work Scott.
“Fight the fight and do what is right“
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

wingdings wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:20 pm Message - Too - Scot (wing admin).

This post is in no way intended to cause offence to Goldwing Docs or the people who are employed there - it's a general observation of the page mentioned and a suggestion on how it could be possibly improved!! to help all Goldwing riders out there get the information they need faster and make the page more user friendly also.
Certainly thanks to Scott for all his efforts in keeping this fine site on-line...

Some of of the GW Docs members may not realize, but this site is a one-man operation, Scott alone moderates all the posts and keeps this site running, at his own expense, too. The advertising you see here defrays most of the cost, but often falls short.

Thanks again Scott.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Another helpful thought for the "how to" articles is think of where you want to go, then find a How-to article that goes even further than where you need to be.

For example, I have a front speaker which has broken its mounting points in the dash, It's laying inside the speaker cavity in the dash. This will be some ABS repair to get the speaker properly mounted again. But how to get to it? Couldn't find a how-to for disassembling the dash for speaker replacement, but "How to replace your dash lights with LED" shows how the dash comes apart. I'll get to the step where the dash cover is off, I've gone far enough, don't need to remove the instrument cluster and put LED in as the subsequent steps show.

Another example would be using the How-to for rear wheel removal/replacement to change your rear brake pads. The rear brakes have to come apart before the wheel is removed, just go "so far" in the how-to until you get to the rear brakes, you don't need to remove the wheel.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

DenverWinger wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:54 pm Another helpful thought for the "how to" articles is think of where you want to go, then find a How-to article that goes even further than where you need to be.

For example, I have a front speaker which has broken its mounting points in the dash, It's laying inside the speaker cavity in the dash. This will be some ABS repair to get the speaker properly mounted again. But how to get to it? Couldn't find a how-to for disassembling the dash for speaker replacement, but "How to replace your dash lights with LED" shows how the dash comes apart. I'll get to the step where the dash cover is off, I've gone far enough, don't need to remove the instrument cluster and put LED in as the subsequent steps show.

Another example would be using the How-to for rear wheel removal/replacement to change your rear brake pads. The rear brakes have to come apart before the wheel is removed, just go "so far" in the how-to until you get to the rear brakes, you don't need to remove the wheel.
That's definitely something I've thought needed to get done, and it's on my list - to take some of the complex how-tos and break them down into simple steps that can be their own articles, just like you mention.
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

It is a never ending task, and takes a lot of devotion to get it done.
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Andy Cote wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:03 pm Yes and there are some duplicates and others with extraneous posts within the threads and some common threads across several models. We all know how busy WingAdmin is so we all thank you for volunteering to clean these all up.

Well said Andy! 👍