CANBUS System?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
No1uno
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing Aspencade GL1500A

CANBUS System?

Post by No1uno »

How to know if your motorcycle uses the CANBUS system? Mine is a 1993 Honda Goldwing, I am thinking of building my own custom electronic dashboard but I do not want to mess around with CANBUS systems. Normally you can tell by doing the following:

Unplug your Dashboard and try to start your motorcycle.

If the engine starts and you can run the motorcycle without the Dashboard being connected then it is not using the CANBUS system.
If the motorcycle does not start without the Dash being plugged-in, this indicates that it does use the CANBUS system

Can anyone chime in on this? Do we use a CANBUS system? My Goldwing is a 1993 Aspencade and I do not use the radio on it since I replace it with a blue tooth head in the right saddlebag, and better speakers.

kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Re: CANBUS System?

Post by kwthom »

No1uno wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:38 pm How to know if your motorcycle uses the CANBUS system? Mine is a 1993 Honda Goldwing, I am thinking of building my own custom electronic dashboard but I do not want to mess around with CANBUS systems. Normally you can tell by doing the following:

Unplug your Dashboard and try to start your motorcycle.

If the engine starts and you can run the motorcycle without the Dashboard being connected then it is not using the CANBUS system.
If the motorcycle does not start without the Dash being plugged-in, this indicates that it does use the CANBUS system

Can anyone chime in on this? Do we use a CANBUS system? My Goldwing is a 1993 Aspencade and I do not use the radio on it since I replace it with a blue tooth head in the right saddlebag, and better speakers.
CANBUS not implemented until 2018 and up models.
Effective 09/29/2021, in a self-imposed "social media detox" - focusing on offline social interactions and actions.