failure to start

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Skeldog
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100

failure to start

Post by Skeldog »

Well my 98 was running fine when I rode it regularily, but it's been sitting a few weeks and now though it spins very fast it will not fire a bit. when I got it from the previous owner he was having trouble getting it started but after he charged it good it seemed to start fine and did OK after I get it for several rides. but now even though the battery is up good it doesn't I am wondering if it's even getting gas right now though the tank is over half full. I'm wondering if the automatic fuel valve which I think it must have may not be opening.I'm also wondering if there's a simple way to prime it to see if there is a fuel issue or what

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: failure to start

Post by Rambozo »

More than likely the battery is not up to the task. Check for spark. The carbs would still have fuel in them after only a few weeks of sitting. You can always squirt some fuel into the the carbs, but it's a lot easier to check for spark, and a lot more likely that is the problem. 1500s are known to have starting problems without a tip top battery. Instead of holding the button down, press it only long enough to get the engine spinning, then release it and see if it will start. Quite often there is not enough power to run the starter and the ignition at the same time. I believe the ignition will drop out around 10.5 to 11 volts while the starter will still crank fine even lower than that.
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

+1 on battery.

Where do you live? Weather is getting cooler. Do you know how to properly use the choke lever? The fuel cutoff valve is vacuum operated and is right in front of the gas cap. Bypass by connecting in and out fuel lines together.

BTW. You can update your profile to reflect the GL1500
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Skeldog
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100

Post by Skeldog »

living in the Texas panhandle. temp wasn't a problem for sure- well in the 90's yesterday may hit 100 today. and I did choke it - and even though the battery seems up the voltage idea makes some sense. I will check today. I need to work on another project first but I'll at least pull a plug or two and check spark