fuel pump power

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Skeldog
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100

fuel pump power

Post by Skeldog »

well after replacing the battery on my 98 -which it needed anyway I figured out there is no power to the fuel pump. I jumpered power to it and the bike starts up fine. looking at the fuses I did not see one marked fuel pump however it hay be in combination with others. all fuses appear to be good. looking at previous posts I've seen mention of bank angle sensor problems. I'm wondering how to locate that.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: fuel pump power

Post by ct1500 »

The BAS cuts power to the entire ECM so if defective it would not start. If the CRUISE ON light can illuminate with key ON that indicates the circuit supplying power to the ECM is okay. Remove the noise filter wiring on the top of pump and bypass it. Check to see if there is voltage on that main black/blue fuel pump lead to it when cranking over.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do
Skeldog
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100

Post by Skeldog »

OK I expect that it's frowned upon but I did the simple thing and jumped a wire with a fuse holder from the screw abouve the fuse box that is hot only when the switch is on to the pump. I am fine with the arangement though no doubt it negates the tip over feature. I find that a 5 amp fuse carries it OK and she rides just fine
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Skeldog wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:29 pm OK I expect that it's frowned upon but I did the simple thing and jumped a wire with a fuse holder from the screw abouve the fuse box that is hot only when the switch is on to the pump. I am fine with the arangement though no doubt it negates the tip over feature. I find that a 5 amp fuse carries it OK and she rides just fine
Keep in mind that if you tip the bike over, the BAS will kill the engine, but the pump will continue pumping. Because the bike is on its side, the carb float valves will be unsealed, and the bike will quickly pump all the fuel in the tank out of the carbs, out the vents, and all over your hot engine.