Clutch Slave Cylinder Rebuild

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
okie2ee
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda Goldwing 1500 Interstate
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Clutch Slave Cylinder Rebuild

Post by okie2ee »

My clutch master cylinder was running out of fluid over time and sure enough the clutch slave cylinder had signs of leakage out of the drain port, 67K+ miles.....................so removed the clutch slave cylinder, this was way easier than I had anticipated, except for the short 10mm socket required to remove the upper mounting bolt.............my 10mm long reach wouldn't fit into the space over the bolt head..............removed the slave cylinder and found evidence of crime and corruption inside the cylinder............slight amount of corrosion and pitting on the lower part of the cylinder appeared to be causing the leak...........I attempted a makeshift repair by using a brake hone to hone the cylinder to remove the slight imperfections in the cylinder wall..................a brake cylinder hone works perfectly and fits nicely into the cylinder.............honed on the cylinder until there was little or no evidence of pitting marks on the cylinder wall.............reused the original seal as it appeared to have no damage or wear along the edges...............put back together and filled with brake fluid and when thru the endlessly tedious procedure of trying to bleed the cylinder................and then, like a miracle, it's suddenly ready to use................drove back from my trip over 750 miles and not a drop showing and the reservoir is nice and full...........moral of the story is that you may not need to change the oil seals and my piston was in perfect condition in order to fix the oil leak..........it was obvious that water had gotten into the system and sat for some period of time...........had rust colored stains............in my younger years I honed out a great number of brake cylinders on drum brakes

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Rebuild

Post by bellboy40 »

Yours probably looked something like this when you took the slave cylinder apart. This is mine when I had to rebuild it a couple of years ago.

GL1500 clutch slave cylinder

okie2ee
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda Goldwing 1500 Interstate
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Rebuild

Post by okie2ee »

I actually had about half of the bottom of the cylinder covered by a large rust colored stain...........but yeah, mine wasn't pretty inside also...............