BIKE DIED

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
gford
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE

BIKE DIED

Post by gford »

For members information, I was on a trip in august and one morning the bike was dead. I boosted it and it only ran for about 5 minutes and died again. I suspected the alternator and swapped it our with my spare alternator and again the bike died in 5 minutes. Next step was the battery, I bought a new battery and everything worked perfect again. What I want to share with members is that over the summer I noticed a slight decrease in performance from the bike. It still ran good but didn't have that extra power that it always had. Once the new battery was installed it runs like new and will pull hard like a freight train when on the highway. Looking back I should have suspected the battery was just about done as it was 6 years old, but always kept on a battery tender. I got 10 years out of the previous battery and it was still working good.

Wing admin on one of his posts stated the gl 1500 requires lots of electrical power to run properly.

If you notice your wing having a slight decrease in performance it may be your battery is close to saying goodbye.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: BIKE DIED

Post by WingAdmin »

gford wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:38 pm For members information, I was on a trip in august and one morning the bike was dead. I boosted it and it only ran for about 5 minutes and died again. I suspected the alternator and swapped it our with my spare alternator and again the bike died in 5 minutes. Next step was the battery, I bought a new battery and everything worked perfect again. What I want to share with members is that over the summer I noticed a slight decrease in performance from the bike. It still ran good but didn't have that extra power that it always had. Once the new battery was installed it runs like new and will pull hard like a freight train when on the highway. Looking back I should have suspected the battery was just about done as it was 6 years old, but always kept on a battery tender. I got 10 years out of the previous battery and it was still working good.

Wing admin on one of his posts stated the gl 1500 requires lots of electrical power to run properly.

If you notice your wing having a slight decrease in performance it may be your battery is close to saying goodbye.
Yup, if the battery is dying, and particularly if it's developed a partial short, it will be sinking a lot of the current being generated by the alternator, not leaving enough for the bike. If this is happening, normally the battery will get very hot after some time riding.