Never have I ever....

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
PowerSlave
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500

Never have I ever....

Post by PowerSlave »

Looking at upgrading/doing something to my radio and with the trend of new phones to not include a headphone jack I have been up in the air of what to do. Especially as I will be upgrading my phone sooner than later.

1) Leave it as is, use my phone and bluetooth headphones
2) Add in the wired aux cable and keep my old phone just for connecting to my stereo
3) Upgrade radio, ether with the Eagle, build my own or such
4) Keep original stereo and get something like this https://www.amazon.ca/Stereo-Truck-Blue ... B07V359CBL

Pros
1) No tearing apart the bike for mods
2) Cheap, just need to buy the aux cable, I probably have a few kicking around anyways
3) Nice modern look, can have a nice 7" screen for navigation, usable on new phone
4) Easy upgrade, can keep receiver hidden, usable on new phone when I get one

Cons
1) Hate not using the bikes stereo and keep worrying about loosing one of the ear pieces
2) Will only last as long as my old phone will
3) Cost... Just getting the Unobtainium 2.1 will cost me upwards over 200 Canadian Moose dollars alone (not ragging on Bluthundr31 for the cost, as I know hes just charging others what he has to pay) and one of the biggest mods
4) A slightly bigger mod than just adding the aux cable but less than a new stereo altogether.

I am leaning towards number 4. Has anyone done this type of upgrade on the stereo yet?

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Never have I ever....

Post by Rambozo »

This site butchers dot ca amazon links.
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

I made the link work, here's the device.

I just picked up something similar from Best Buy, Mine is internal battery and charges with USB. No problem with my setup, there's USB Power in the right saddlebag along with the power amp and equalizer.
Nice thing about having the internal battery in the bluetooth receiver is I can unplug it and take it off the bike and use it on my home stereo, or the boombox on the patio. Downside will be remembering to shut off the receiver when parking the bike or it'll run down the bike battery. The USB power in the saddlebag is always "Hot", we use that USB power for charging phones if we are travelling or camping.

Going to devise a splitter with a level control for the bike so I can use my MP3 player and the bluetooth at the same time with music playing on the MP3 and getting NAV directions from my phone along with the music.

The stereo is the Stock 1500 radio, There's an Alpine CD changer in the trunk which also plays MP3 discs, controller for the CD changer is on the shelter by the Voltmeter and Oil Pressure gauges, and the Alpine system gets the audio into the bike stereo via FM Modulator. I can select the CD player, or the AUX input on the alpine FM modulator via the control on the shelter, AUX is used for my Sandisk MP3 player which sits on a velcro pad right below the Alpine controller, and now the bluetooth receiver too. Or I can turn the Alpine off and listen to the 1500 radio or play a cassette. And this all works nicely with the 1500 intercom system, I have corded headsets.

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
PowerSlave

Post by PowerSlave »

I pulled the trigger and ordered it. It says it won't be delivered till October so it will be a winter project by the looks of it. I plan on putting it into Aux power, might just splice off the power going to the radio already.
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

DenverWinger wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:14 am Going to devise a splitter with a level control for the bike so I can use my MP3 player and the bluetooth at the same time with music playing on the MP3 and getting NAV directions from my phone along with the music.<...>
Might save you the effort....

http://www.mixitproducts.com/

Then there's always...

http://electric-avenues.com/amplirider/
Effective 09/29/2021, in a self-imposed "social media detox" - focusing on offline social interactions and actions.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

I used something like this but mine also has inputs to allow for you to play/pause and select track forward/back.
PowerSlave

Post by PowerSlave »

Update... unit came in today. Tested it out, uninstalled cause from China. Seems to work fine. Hope to get it installed Sunday. Will update when job is done!
blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

I had been running a plug in tape adapter that I would plug into my spare bluetooth helmet intercom and then connect my phone to that.
It worked OK, and I had some controls of volume and track selection with the headset (it sat on the left side cubby under the straps).
My biggest complaint with that is at highway speeds, the radio just was not loud enough to get over the wind noise and ear plugs.

I have since gone to bluetooth earphones, which I usually pair with my phone, but they can also pair with my Garmin (which connects to my phone) so I can listen to and control music on the garmin, as well as hear directions.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE
PowerSlave

Post by PowerSlave »

New Update....

I have now installed the unit, following the advice given in viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5316. Great amount of information in there.
I now have blue tooth connectivity to my radio!!!

I originally disconnected both connector 106 and 107 but didn't get any sound out of it. I re-connected 107 and now had sound. With 106 still disconnected I do not need a tape in the unit. I did no other mods except solder in the aux cable into the radio.

It took longer to get the bike apart enough to get he radio out and back together than it did to do the actual solder job.

FYI, I have a '94 Aspencade.