Common to cruise & radio???

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Golfr
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A Aspencade

Common to cruise & radio???

Post by Golfr »

1997 GL 1500 with 2005 motor trike conversion. The cruise engage/set has been iffy for the past 6 months or so..I had the timing belts changed this week (80000 mi.) and when we put all tupperware back in place THE radio channel selector accomplished nothing. Rode about 8 miles toward home trying both cruise set and channel select every mile or so, nothing. Tried at mile 9 and gadzooks both worked as if factory new..Rode the remaining 12 miles happy as a pig in slop.. Next morning , back to square one.. What circuit is common to both systems?

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Common to cruise & radio???

Post by DenverWinger »

Both cruise and radio use the speed sensor pulses from the speedometer, if the signal from speedometer was missing the cruise wouldn't set, but it's only affect on the radio would be the automatic volume control wouldn't work. This would not affect your ability to change channels.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Since work was done, obviously I would look to any connectors that were molested, and/or grounding points.
Then, of course, I would blame it all on too many wheels. ;)
Golfr

Post by Golfr »

Thanx to both Denverwinger and Rambozo for places to look for the gremlin.
PS. Rambozo not too many wheels on ground if rider is little skinny white boy 75 yo. 🤣🤣
WingNoob
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE
2007 KLR650

Post by WingNoob »

Was it just the handlebar mounted switch that failed, or did the radio itself stop working?

If it's just the channel switch on the bar I'd look first at the wiring harness for the handlebar switches, since that seems like the simplest common component between the channel switch and the cruise switch. Loose or corroded plugs or worn wires could be a cause, maybe the repair tech tugged on some wires while working on the front end. Try reaching down near the triple clamp and wiggling the connectors there to see if you can replicate or fix the problem.

My next guess would be the switches themselves. Try spraying some contact cleaner into the switches while working them on and off.

If it was the entire radio that failed, I'd start by checking the fuse panel. In addition to checking the fuse (I think the radio and cruise are both on the Acc circuit iirc), I've had issues in the past with worn out relays causing the radio or the center LCD to not work until after I've ridden for a while. I guess a little heat and vibration gets them to turn on eventually. You could try swapping relays to see if that helps. Sorry, I don't recall off the top of my head which relay is which, but I think it's printed on the inside of the cover.

Best of luck.

Oh, and if your cruise engage is still iffy try checking all of the cruise cancelling switches for proper function. When I first got my bike the clutch lever cancel switch wasn't lined up properly and the tiny bit of free play in the clutch lever would trip the switch and cancel the cruise.
Golfr

Post by Golfr »

Thank you very much for info sharing. Will check into each one. Will update as I go.