New Guy

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Gcappy
Motorcycle: 1988 goldwing gl 1500

New Guy

Post by Gcappy »

Hi, I’m the new guy. I just purchased a 1988 GL1500 with 70,000 miles on the od. The engine starts and runs well but the bike was left outside for years so the paint and other cosmetics are rough. However I am going to do the unthinkable for many of you. I am completely customizing the bike. I have never done anything other than H.D.’s so this will be a great project for me. So far I have stripped all the ABS off and am wondering how they got so many wires and components in there. I am looking for any and all helpful information as to what systems and components can be deleted. I will not use cruise, reverse, cb, radio, volume fader or any other non essential components. I will eventually put all the unused body parts and components up for sale. I understand these older bikes are not supported by honda.

I have been reading some of the forums and gained some info but I haven’t seen anyone else do this with a 1500.
Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: New Guy

Post by Rambozo »

There are plenty of rat rod 1500s out there. I don't have any interest in them as it seems like the wrong bike to start that kind of project. Isn't that why they made the Valkyrie? Maybe if you just kept the engine and made a custom frame for it. Since Honda planned on covering everything with plastic, they didn't bother to make things under the plastic look good.
You can delete anything and everything. Whatever you consider non-essential. Sounds like you might want to make a list of what you want to keep and go from there. Do you want lights, and such? The reverse is internal, so unless you plan on stripping down the transmission, it's not coming out. You can get an interstate or Valkyrie engine that is lighter and doesn't have it, if you want.
This scrambler project is one of the few stripped down GL1500's that I think is a nice job. Still the stock frame kinda lets it down.

Gcappy
Motorcycle: 1988 goldwing gl 1500

Re: New Guy

Post by Gcappy »

Thanks for the reply Rambozo, the bike choice was for the motor basically but I guarantee this won’t be a rat rod when I’m done.