Front Parking Light.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Zradene
Motorcycle: GL1500SE

Front Parking Light.

Post by Zradene »

Hi guys, it seems that GL1500se over here in the UK we have different light switches to those on US models. Maybe someone can confirm this.
On this Trike I purchased, when switching to the "P" on my lower light switch (see photo attached), only one of the parking light bulbs come on. Is this correct does anybody know ?
I have fitted 2 brand new headlight bulbs so I know they are both good, but as the main headlights bulbs both light up, as well as the dipped beam I was assuming that both bulbs would light up when in parking mode.
Attachments

terryt
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike
1989 gl1500 trike
1995 Kawasaki gt550 Trike

Re: Front Parking Light.

Post by terryt »

Hi yes the the us model dont have that light switch. I will check with a mate who has a uk model but im sure when i worked on it p is the side lights front and rear will come on and h the head light. mine hasn't got that switch and i bypassed the headlight with a switch so its not on all the time
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

I believe you have laws that require the outer parking light to be on when parked in certain places. I know on most MBZ you can select just the left or right parking lights, to reduce the drain on the battery if it must be left overnight. So a single light might be by design on yours. Do you have a service manual with wiring diagram?
Zradene

Post by Zradene »

Hi, thanks for your reply, please let me know if your friends UK Goldwing has one or 2 bulbs lit when the P switch is on.
Thank you.
Zradene

Post by Zradene »

Rambozo wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:29 pm I believe you have laws that require the outer parking light to be on when parked in certain places. I know on most MBZ you can select just the left or right parking lights, to reduce the drain on the battery if it must be left overnight. So a single light might be by design on yours. Do you have a service manual with wiring diagram?
Hi, thanks for your reply my friend. Yes I do have a manual so I will take a look to see if there is any reference to this parking light in there. It is the left kerb side parking light that comes on when P is selected but would have thought it should be the right side for safety reasons.
terryt
1989 gl1500 trike

Post by terryt »

Zradene wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:00 am Hi, thanks for your reply, please let me know if your friends UK Goldwing has one or 2 bulbs lit when the P switch is on.
Thank you.
Hi with the ignition on and the switch in the P position both the side lights and rear lights come on. and in the H position side lights rear light and head light are on. Have you checked the side light bulbs.
Zradene

Post by Zradene »

Hi, all the lights you mention come on when on "P". I have just had a good look at the actual headlamp, and have come to the conclusion that the left bulb must act as the parking light, as no other bulbs are present. If you study the photo's attached, you will a black section on the left side only (marked with a red arrow) which is somehow built into the headlight to pick up the light from the dipped beam on the bulb. This feature is not on the right side. when I removed the headlight I am pretty certain there were no other bulbs present apart from the 2 headlight bulbs. See photos.
Attachments

terryt
1989 gl1500 trike

Post by terryt »

Zradene wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 am Hi, all the lights you mention come on when on "P". I have just had a good look at the actual headlamp, and have come to the conclusion that the left bulb must act as the parking light, as no other bulbs are present. If you study the photo's attached, you will a black section on the left side only (marked with a red arrow) which is somehow built into the headlight to pick up the light from the dipped beam on the bulb. This feature is not on the right side. when I removed the headlight I am pretty certain there were no other bulbs present apart from the 2 headlight bulbs. See photos.
=When on P both the lights each side of the head lights should be on Have you got the manual. P = position lights H = head lights and the dot is all off. If you put the ignition key in the P position on the barrel thats parking lights and the rear lights will be on. im not sure what that light is on yours its not on mine or my mates
Zradene

Post by Zradene »

Hi, the wiring system on this trike must have been modified then, as turning the ignition switch (One click) nothing happens whatsoever, no light, nothing. This was originally a 1996 GL1500se bike before being converted to a Trike. Apart from some additional wires running to the "ring of fire" on front wheel and to the cruiser footrest boards, the wiring all seems original, but I would have to agree with you thinking that the first turn on the ignition switch would have turned on the parking lights.
terryt
1989 gl1500 trike

Post by terryt »

Zradene wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:59 am Hi, the wiring system on this trike must have been modified then, as turning the ignition switch (One click) nothing happens whatsoever, no light, nothing. This was originally a 1996 GL1500se bike before being converted to a Trike. Apart from some additional wires running to the "ring of fire" on front wheel and to the cruiser footrest boards, the wiring all seems original, but I would have to agree with you thinking that the first turn on the ignition switch would have turned on the parking lights.
Mine a 1989 gl1500 trike That i built all the wiring is original the extra running and side lights run off a aux battery and fuse box. How are your rear marker and indicators wired
Zradene

Post by Zradene »

My friend has a 1989 Trike, and his light switches are completely different to mine. I have a separate Dip switch but other than that all other lights come on with headlights. The "P" setting also puts on side sights back and front as you mentioned.