Bike shuts down after warming up

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
jmaskdc
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500A Aspencade
1999 HD Dyna Wide Glide
2001 Aprilia RST1000
1987 Suzuki DR250

Bike shuts down after warming up

Post by jmaskdc »

Greetings all. I recently purchased a 98 GL1500A and have loved riding it. Took a trip from Pennsylvania to Georgia and back with no trouble at all (very lucky it turns out). After returning, I was taking a short ride and the bike just shut down. I lost all power to my dash as well. I pulled over and started checking all electrical connections. After I unplugged the starter solenoid wires and plugged them back in, my dash came to life and I made it home. I unplugged it and inspected the wires and the prongs on the solenoid. Everything looked good and clean. I put dielectric grease on the prongs and plugged it back in. Bike has a new battery and when I check it, it reads 12.3 and while running it reads 14.2. I let the bike set overnight. I started it today and it started right up. I was warming it up and it quit. All life in the dash was gone once again. I unplugged the starter solenoid harness again and plugged it right back in. Bike came to life and started right up. After warming up a bit, I lost the dash again and bike quit. I repeated this nonsense 4 or 5 times and it plays out the same. Runs a bit and completely shuts down. A quick unplug and plug in of the solenoid harness and it's back. I was thinking the starter solenoid relay must be bad, but that doesn't explain why a brief unplugging fixes the problem. I'm new to Goldwings and would appreciate the forums years of experience with these machines. Thank you in advance!!

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Bike shuts down after warming up

Post by ct1500 »

Built into the starter relay A to the right of battery is a 30A fuse holder which powers the key switch. These can often get some overheating symptoms causing a bad connection to the fuse/holder allowing a no power result.
https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.co ... %20BATTERY
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do
jmaskdc
1999 HD Dyna Wide Glide
2001 Aprilia RST1000
1987 Suzuki DR250

Post by jmaskdc »

ct1500 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:41 pm Built into the starter relay A to the right of battery is a 30A fuse holder which powers the key switch. These can often get some overheating symptoms causing a bad connection to the fuse/holder allowing a no power result.
Thanks for the fast reply. I'm trying to ready the wing for a group ride tomorrow. So is the solution to replace the fuse holder itself? I did inspect the 30A fuse when I had it unplugged and even put some dielectric grease on the blades for good measure. How much should be replaced? Just the fuse holder, or the solenoid and wiring harness as well? Also, I don't suppose there's a way I can patch things up while I order parts? Just trying to make tomorrow's ride. In PA we don't have many sunny 70 degree days left.
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

A lot of times an intermittant power loss like that is caused by a loose connector pin. If you can find a male pin of similar size to what is in the connector (this includes the fuse prongs) and see if there is some drag when you push the pin in and pull the pin out. Loosening of the clamping force is usually found in pins that carry a sizeable amount of current which produces heat and relaxes the tight fit which causes more heat which.... you get the idea. At some point there isn't enough contact and the whatever is being powered stops working. Unless the connector has really fried it can be bent back in place and tighten the connection again, adding some dielectric grease for heat transfer helps a lot also.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
jmaskdc
1999 HD Dyna Wide Glide
2001 Aprilia RST1000
1987 Suzuki DR250

Post by jmaskdc »

Swagonmaster wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:39 am A lot of times an intermittant power loss like that is caused by a loose connector pin. If you can find a male pin of similar size to what is in the connector (this includes the fuse prongs) and see if there is some drag when you push the pin in and pull the pin out.
Thanks a lot Swagon!! My tester male pin worked great. I found one female connecter without as much drag as the others. I used a pick to spring them all a little tighter. Hooked everything up and warmed it up to operating temp with no shutting off. If the rain quits today, I'll get it out and put some miles on her.
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

I've tightened many connectors over the years and have realized that sometimes just tightening the top of the connector makes a good but rather small contact patch. If you aren't in a position to remove the female connector to make sure to get more complete contact then be sure to add some dielectric grease to help prevent the smaller contact patch from overheating again and causing the problem all over again. You would then feel that this method of repair isn't reliable and start replacing parts and I have seen some shall we say less than excellent repairs when the "simple don't have to replace anything" fix would have your bike back on the road.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
jmaskdc
1999 HD Dyna Wide Glide
2001 Aprilia RST1000
1987 Suzuki DR250

Post by jmaskdc »

The saga continues...After tightening up the female connectors at the starter solenoid harness, I was able to let the bike warm up. I thought the problem was solved. The next day, I went to warm it up to ride and I was right back at square one. It would quit and dash would totally shut off, a quick plug pull at the starter solenoid and plug it back in, and then I could start it again. But after a minute, it would shut off. After watching a few of Scott's electrical videos on GoldwingDocs youtube channel, I decided to get at the relay box on the left side. I pulled and examined every relay and they all appeared normal. I'm assuming that pulling and reinserting every relay improved a connection somewhere, because now I can't get it to malfunction. I don't feel like I've found the exact problem, nor have I done anything to fix it. So do I just ride until the problem returns? Or should I be testing things further, replacing certain parts, and/or performing some preventative actions before trusting it for a long ride.
jmaskdc
1999 HD Dyna Wide Glide
2001 Aprilia RST1000
1987 Suzuki DR250

Post by jmaskdc »

Just took a 5 mile test ride and had no issues. I haven't been able to ride a half mile since all this began. I'm assuming that checking all the relays improved a connection in one of them. Before a long trip, I guess I will check all the female connectors for all the relays and make sure they are tight and put a dab of dielectric grease on every post.
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

After thinking about what you have said and looking at the wiring diagram I have a couple of observations. Since everything is powered through that 30 amp fuse in the starter relay everything on the bike would shut down if it was bad in any way. Once we get past the main fuse we get to the 5 amp backup fuse in the relay box, if it doesn't get power the clock among other things will need to be reset after every blackout. Other than that all of the power is run through the ignition switch. Point being is if the clock needs to be reset each time the issue is around the starter relay and the 30amp fuse, if not then it will be from the ign switch onward. Pay attention to what stops working (and what keeps working) when the engine shuts off, it will help pinpoint where the problem is coming from.
jmaskdc
1999 HD Dyna Wide Glide
2001 Aprilia RST1000
1987 Suzuki DR250

Post by jmaskdc »

Hmmm. I wish I could get it to act up again so I could be 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure that my clock and radio needed resetting when it would shut down. Which points back to the fused starter relay where I was unplugging and plugging back in. The confusing part is why it would not run for even a minute, until I checked all the fuses and relays on the left side. If I can get it to happen again, I will double check the clock.
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

And only do one thing at a time before checking to see if it made a difference, you can be a long time deciding what fixed the thing even temporarly if several things were done.
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

If you don't already have a test light getting one would be a big help on your project. At $5.50 it's a necessary tool.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200678199
jmaskdc
1999 HD Dyna Wide Glide
2001 Aprilia RST1000
1987 Suzuki DR250

Post by jmaskdc »

After reading Swagon's post, studying the wiring diagram, and checking things with my test light, I'm back to the first post making perfect sense. I'm just not sure what my next step should be. The fuse holder is probably overheating as ct1500 stated. Do I just replace the fuse holder? Do I just put in an inline 30A fuse to the ignition? The only way I can replicate what happens when it malfunctions is to pull that 30A fuse.
ct1500 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:41 pm Built into the starter relay A to the right of battery is a 30A fuse holder which powers the key switch. These can often get some overheating symptoms causing a bad connection to the fuse/holder allowing a no power result.
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

Whenever possible I prefer to go with stock parts. If the prongs of the fuse holder and the 4 wires that connect to the relay can't be reliably tightened then I'd suggest replacing the fuse holder. It's cheap and available with no need to find room to put it and it just plain looks neater. If I remember correctly when I had to replace my starter relay that fuse holder came with it.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Also keep your test light in your saddlebag, and if the problem reoccurs, check for power at each point before disturbing any connectors. Then you will know what needs attention.
jmaskdc
1999 HD Dyna Wide Glide
2001 Aprilia RST1000
1987 Suzuki DR250

Post by jmaskdc »

Rambozo wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:47 am Also keep your test light in your saddlebag, and if the problem reoccurs, check for power at each point before disturbing any connectors. Then you will know what needs attention.
I have already added it to my kit!!