No More Slave Cylinders

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Wingnut6358
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

No More Slave Cylinders

Post by Wingnut6358 »

Hello everyone, I bought a 1989 GL 1500 with 40,000 miles on it about two months ago. I had problems with the brakes,witch I found out was caused by degraded brake fluid. I took care of that. That problem got me to thinking about the maintenance for the rest of the bike. What I decided to do was to pull it in my shop and go through as much of it as I could. I started by pulling off all the “ Tupperware” and giving her a long bath. I had mentioned the brake fluid problem on here and a reply I got what is to check the slave cylinder and master cylinder. I did and found the fluid in the same condition. Then I pulled the slave cylinder off. Omg I don’t even know how it was working it was in such bad condition. I cleaned it all up and thought about just replacing the seals but I was not comfortable with the condition of the cylinder itself. So I decided to purchase a new one, and after looking online and not finding much I called my local dealer and ordered one. I would like to say that the customer service at my dealer is the best I’ve ever had. The parts girl took my order and said it would be here the following Tuesday. I thought great but the next day I received a call from her saying that that part had been canceled but she was able to find me one of the last couple slave cylinders in the United States and informed me that they are not going to make any more. She also said that the seal them self are still being made. I also ordered the clutch cover oil seal so I could replace it at the same time. I just thought I would put this out there to advise everyone to take care of their slave cylinder‘s and check them regularly. I am a machinist so I think in the worst case scenario you could have a welder weld it up and have a machinist bore it back to the exact dimension but that would be more expensive than buying a new one. Well with saying that I have to get back to work on my bike so I can get back on the road.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: No More Slave Cylinders

Post by WingAdmin »

It's not surprising. Most of the parts for the 1500 have not been made in years, so once the parts stock is depleted, that's it for "new" replacement parts.

The exception is "parts bin" parts common to many bikes, often bikes still being made today. Honda has quite a bit of those types of parts. And consumables like seals, O-rings, gaskets - typically even if Honda stops making them, an aftermarket supplier will step in to fill the void.
Nicksacco
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing, 1989 Goldwing, 2012 Goldwing Level 3, 2003 ST1300, 1976 Suzuki RE5, 2002 Suzuki DRZ400E

Post by Nicksacco »

Wingnut - great reminder!
I rebuilt the clutch slave on my 2003 ST1300 and it still leaked. So had to purchase the whole assembly.
The cost was nearly the same anyway.
The reason for the failure was that both the bore and the piston developed pits likely from water in the brake fluid.
It was a mess when I took it apart.
The ounce of prevention is to change the darn brake fluid in all of the brakes and clutch on a regular basis.

There is a website in the Netherlands that appears to have the clutch parts
https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-gl1500-gold ... /0044.html

Also if you look at the ST1300 parts, it does appear that the slave for that bike might work in the GL1500.
Ride often and long!
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

If the pistons are pitted (and replacements unavailable), you can restore them. If there is corrosion, use electrolysis to remove as much corrosion as possible. You then smear a thin film of J-B Weld over the surface of the piston and allow it to cure. Once fully cured, using fine-grain sandpaper (start with 800, then 1200/1500), polish it back to the chrome. This leaves the good, chromed portion of the piston exposed, and the pits are filled level with the J-B Weld.

It's not a perfect repair, but it will last for many years, and it can be repeated again in the future on the same piston.
Nicksacco
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing, 1989 Goldwing, 2012 Goldwing Level 3, 2003 ST1300, 1976 Suzuki RE5, 2002 Suzuki DRZ400E

Post by Nicksacco »

Yessir you are correct.
I used the JB weld technique in a prior GL1000 restoration.
See my pics below to repair pitting in a 1978 front transmission/water pump housing.
The repair has lasted just fine. The keys are cleanliness, careful sanding and yes - patience!

I decided not to go this route on my ST1300 since BOTH the piston and the slave cylinder were damaged from pitting and access to the Clutch slave is quite difficult. A new slave seemed a better option.
Attachments

Ride often and long!