Groaning in lower rpm shifts

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
JJWing
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Groaning in lower rpm shifts

Post by JJWing »

I am new , but a goldwing fan. I own my first GL1500 with 182,000 + miles , mechanic owned and maintained before i bought. All upgrades thinkingable have been applied. Ive only changed oil with tripodyne motorcycle oil and added a tube of tribodex to oil, runs like brand new , PO had a trailer , all gears work fine , getting used to the personality of this bike with rides, sometimes it groans in the early stage after shift then smooths out higher rpms under 3. Shifting over 2 rpms. Is this typical for the GL1500 or sound more age related? Thanks.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Re: Groaning in lower rpm shifts

Post by C-dub »

JJWing wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:44 pm I am new , but a goldwing fan. I own my first GL1500 with 182,000 + miles , mechanic owned and maintained before i bought. All upgrades thinkingable have been applied. Ive only changed oil with tripodyne motorcycle oil and added a tube of tribodex to oil, runs like brand new , PO had a trailer , all gears work fine , getting used to the personality of this bike with rides, sometimes it groans in the early stage after shift then smooths out higher rpms under 3. Shifting over 2 rpms. Is this typical for the GL1500 or sound more age related? Thanks.
I might be wrong, but that sounds about right for these bikes. Although they do have a bunch of low end torque, under 2k is/can be a bit stressful if given too much throttle below 2k. 2-4k is where they really have their power. Now, my experience and info is more for the 1800, so I'm not real sure about the 1500.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargeant Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
Patriot Guard Rider
JJWing

Post by JJWing »

Thank you for your reply. My dad used to have a 05 1800 but i never got to ride it, at the time i had a 86 honda vt1100. A great bike. Im learning about the personality of the GLs. This site has answered a lot of info I needed and still inquiring. Thanks again for your input.
JJWing

Post by JJWing »

I also am used to sound shifting from riding harleys and other cruisers, the range from 0 to 6500 seemed like 2 grand was a good shifting point, as under 3 is nominal for best mpg from many post on here highway or touring. This is the only GL i have ridden so have nothing to compare it to. Its a awesome machine and found out fast why once you are a Goldwing rider always one. , i have a lower spine issue that this is the best bike i.e. goldwings in general allow fir me to ride as much as i like. Being new the worst part is heading home knowing the ride will end.. I have a cnc sheetmetal shop i know all sounds of everything when its right and wrong so im training myself for what this bike should sound like, and learning the personality of the sweet spots of what i like to hear or think it should so may just be a matter of learning just what it wants when it wants..
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

You can hit the throttle in a high gear at a lower speed, It might sound like a "groan" but what you are hearing is the individual power strokes from this high torque engine traversing the drive train. Since it is a balanced 6 cylinder engine it just sounds like a steady "groan", if it were a Vee-Twin you'd get a "potato-potato-potato" sort of sound as the Vee-twins fire both cylinders in quick succession in a single rev of the crankshaft, and then no power strokes at all for more than 1 1/2 rev.

GL1500 has lots of low end torque, It can accelerate nicely even from a high gear at slow city speeds idling along at 700 idle RPM. But at that low of an engine speed, it won't sound like a "purr", the power strokes are at a low enough frequency that it will cause some vibration.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
JJWing

Post by JJWing »

Thanks DenverWing. Sounds like everything is working as normal. It runs so good for having 182 grand on the clock. Even the tranny. Just wanted to make sure and get info from seasoned experts. There are a few people I have met, at Bike retailers working past the retirement, that have had them since day one in the 70s but they have upgraded every generation to the newest ones. The glory of this is I get great advice from those still riding my generation.
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

To add to the noise mix is the resonance from the alternator. While I still had the original 40amp unit I don't remember a lot of noise that I could attribute to the alternator but after the upgrade to the new 95amp unit there is noticeable vibration/noise at lower revs and I've read about others that have seen the same thing with theirs. More charging capacity, more load on the engine, more chance for noise I guess. Not excessive but still there.

Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!