Timing belt cover gasket leak ?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
ghostdawg1520
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 A Black

Timing belt cover gasket leak ?

Post by ghostdawg1520 »

Has anyone ever had a timing belt cover gasket leak ?
im getting an oil leak that looks like it comes from the left valve cover but it's not,i also thought it may be my shifter seal but it's dry and i have the kit to keep the shifter straight,i keep getting oil on the bottom of the left valve cover blowing down the left side of the bike and on my left boot,also,i checked my alternator seal and its good and dry as well,also the bottom of the engine near front of the engine on the left side gets wet from oil as well,i'm thinking that timing belt cover gasket may be leaking but i have never had this happen and i don't the signs of a bad timing belt cover gasket,does anyone have any idea if this is what's causing my oil leak ? :| Thanx for any help with this 8-)

Crusty1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2007 ST1300A ABS

Re: Timing belt cover gasket leak ?

Post by Crusty1 »

The seals/gaskets on the timing covers are there only to keep dust out. Behind those covers are cam seals, crank seal oil pressure sending unit to name a few. If it’s from the left side the left cam seal would be the first thing I would look at. Be sure you are familiar with timing belt replacement procedures before attempting to replace the cam seal.
ghostdawg1520
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 A Black

Re: Timing belt cover gasket leak ?

Post by ghostdawg1520 »

Thanx Crusty1 I'll look into that