Driving me crazy

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Golfr
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A Aspencade

Driving me crazy

Post by Golfr »

I have research this on every other Goldwing forum I belong to and no help.
What does the Blue #7 Position Relay on my 1997 GL1500 control? Thanx in advance...

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Re: Driving me crazy

Post by dingdong »

That is the position light relay. On both sides of the headlight are running lights. Those are the position lights.
Golfr

Post by Golfr »

Thank you so much.
Be blessed
the_big_h
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1984 VF1100S Sabre

Post by the_big_h »

Honda's "Position Light Relay" circuit is a little goofy, I think it is a result of their addition of self-cancelling signals to prior wiring systems.

In short: the "Position Light Relay" connects the Left Position Light to the Right Position Light while the Signals are NOT in operation, to ensure that both Left and Right position lights are ON during normal riding.

Longer version:
- While signaling, the Position Light for that side is turned off (so the signal flash goes Bright-Off-Bright-Off instead of Bright-Dim-Bright-Dim).
- Prior to Hondas self-cancelling signals, the rider had to press in the signal light switch to cancel the signal. By pushing in on the switch, the slider inside was centered, the contacts in the switch in the centered position would again send power to both Left and Right position lights.
- When the self-cancelling system was added, it was no longer necessary for the rider to press in the signal light switch, so the slider inside stays non-centered - leaving the Position Light for the most-recently-selected signal direction OFF.
- Honda added the Position Light Relay so when the self-cancelling unit cancels the signal (by releasing the blue-black wire from ground), the Position Light Relay connects Left to Right, so both are on again.
Golfr

Post by Golfr »

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with this newbie.