Turn singals

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
JPochron
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500 Aspencade

Turn singals

Post by JPochron »

I have a 1995 Aspencade Trike and I just started having an issue with the turn singals. They will flash rapidly for a few seconds and then shut off, either side. Sometimes they won't come on at all. The 4 way flashers work fine and at normal speed. The switch for the turn singals feels stiff. Could it be the switch or the relay?

Thanks

Joe

JPochron

Re: Turn singals

Post by JPochron »

After I wrote this I thought of something that might be the cause. I had installed all LED Lights and the Cruise Control didn't work any longer and a while back I read that the LED Brake lights could be the cause of the Cruise Control not working. Anyhow I started replacing all the LED back to the satandard Lights. I changed out the rear turn singals but not the front. If I had them mixed (LED and Standard) would that cause the blinkers to flash rapidly or not at all? Another question about the LED Lights, is it just the LED Brake lights that would cause the Cruise Control not to work? I got the cruise set light to come on but it doesn't engage. Also the cruise light comes on for reducing speed but not increasing speed. Thanks

Joe
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

If the cruise set light comes on, it's likely not an electrical problem. Check the vacuum hoses, actuator, and cables. The decel is also the set button, you have to use that first, then you can use the accel button to increase speed. There can be quite a lag if the cables are not adjusted properly. Search here for how best to do that. The Honda method is not ideal.
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

JPochron wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:22 pm After I wrote this I thought of something that might be the cause. I had installed all LED Lights and the Cruise Control didn't work any longer and a while back I read that the LED Brake lights could be the cause of the Cruise Control not working. Anyhow I started replacing all the LED back to the standard Lights. I changed out the rear turn signals but not the front. If I had them mixed (LED and Standard) would that cause the blinkers to flash rapidly or not at all? Another question about the LED Lights, is it just the LED Brake lights that would cause the Cruise Control not to work? I got the cruise set light to come on but it doesn't engage. Also the cruise light comes on for reducing speed but not increasing speed. Thanks

Joe
I replaced the brake lights in the trunk with LED - The ones Cyclemax sells that flash 5 times quickly then go steady, but kept the lower brake lights under the bags standard incandescent bulbs.
Evidently two instead of four incandescent brake light bulbs is enough load to keep the cruise control happy, I had no issues on my trip to Michigan this summer.

"Set/Decel" button should cause the "Cruise Set" light to come on, but "Resume/Accel" button will only cause the "Cruise Set" light to come on if the cruise was previously on and you cancelled it (bump brake or clutch cancel switch) to slow down some. Then the "Resume/Accel" button will work because you are "Resuming" previously set speed.

On my 1100 with stock flasher when connecting the trailer with Standard incandescent bulbs the extra load caused rapid flashing. I disconnected the turn signals on rear of bike (easy to do on 1100) when the trailer was hitched to get a normal blink rate. Bike would warn me if the rear turn signals were still disconnected if I unhitched the trailer, the turn signal would come on but not flash. This is intended to warn you of a burned out bulb. I would expect the 1500 would behave the same, but on my 1500 I have a trailer isolator and don't get the extra load on the turn signal circuit from the trailer. Mixing LED and standard turn signal bulbs will cause the flasher to behave as if a burned out bulb, probably won't blink. A new electronic flasher would fix this.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
JPochron

Post by JPochron »

Thank you for the replys
JPochron

Post by JPochron »

I took apart the switch and cleaned it as best I could as I din't have any eltronic cleaner. They started working again for a couple days but now it's intermitent. They'll work for a little but then quit.