Need relays for my GL1500

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
sczinege
Motorcycle: 1997 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C90 -sold
1977 Suzuki GS 750 - sold
1976 Honda CB 500T-sold

Need relays for my GL1500

Post by sczinege »

Hello. I live in Canada close to the US border at Buffalo NY. I am in need of some of your replacement relays. One of my newest factory replacement relays melted causing damage to the relay box. Managed to clean it up and I had one of my old relays for a spare which I managed to install into the damaged slot. I have no idea why it melted instead of just stop working. No blown fuses or other apparent damage to be seen. Has anyone else ever encountered this? What is the best way to get some of your replacement relays into my hands? I saw some posts about shipping delays and undelivered product and other problems. Is this still going on?

Keep the rubber side down - Steve
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Need relays for my GL1500

Post by WingAdmin »

sczinege wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:31 am Hello. I live in Canada close to the US border at Buffalo NY. I am in need of some of your replacement relays. One of my newest factory replacement relays melted causing damage to the relay box. Managed to clean it up and I had one of my old relays for a spare which I managed to install into the damaged slot. I have no idea why it melted instead of just stop working. No blown fuses or other apparent damage to be seen. Has anyone else ever encountered this? What is the best way to get some of your replacement relays into my hands? I saw some posts about shipping delays and undelivered product and other problems. Is this still going on?
Generally when there is corrosion on the contact - either on the relay terminal or the terminal in the fuse box, this creates resistance. Put current through the resistance, it creates heat. More heat causes more oxidation. More oxidation causes more resistance. More resistance causes more heat. And so on.

So I would clean the fuse terminals with perhaps some emery paper and Caig Deoxit, then put a brand new relay in.

We definitely ship to Canada, and while delivery is not speedy fast, it's not 2+ months like it used to be. Most Canadian deliveries are getting through in 2-3 weeks right now. That will probably change the closer we get to Christmas.
Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Post by Sassy »

Ya I'm in southern BC. Bought a complete set this past spring. No, shipping wasn't over night but decent, probably better now.
Stories like this one make me happy I went ahead and changed them out for the piece of mind because I wasn't having any trouble with the old ones.
Fred
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
sczinege
1976 Honda CB 500T-sold

Post by sczinege »

Thanks for the info WingAdmin. Another question. Strongsville is about 4 hours to my home. In the process of ordering some relays and the only option for shipping is air service. Is this correct? Wouldn't ground delivery be more direct or is this air service normal for such a short distance?
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

sczinege wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:37 am Thanks for the info WingAdmin. Another question. Strongsville is about 4 hours to my home. In the process of ordering some relays and the only option for shipping is air service. Is this correct? Wouldn't ground delivery be more direct or is this air service normal for such a short distance?
For domestic, we use Priority Mail, and for international, we use First Class International.

For international, the delay isn't really the mode of transport, it's customs. For us, all international shipments get sent to Chicago, where it gets sorted and cleared outbound, then it goes to the destination country. That country then sends it to its own customs clearinghouse, where it sits until it gets cleared, then finally delivered to its destination.
sczinege
1976 Honda CB 500T-sold

Post by sczinege »

Thanks for the explanation. Will be ordering shortly.