Turn Signal Switch

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
JPochron
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500 Aspencade

Turn Signal Switch

Post by JPochron »

I'm still having problems with the turn signals not working. I took it apart and attempted to clean it but didn't have any electrical cleaner so I did what I could. I'm not certain if I reassembled it correctly though. They worked for a little bit but now don't. When I switch it to either left or right they don't come on but the cornering lights come on. Also the dash lights are lit for both sides but very dim then when I switch to either side that side that I switch to the dash light goes off. The switch also feels like it's sticking, so i'm think possibly not put back together correctly or a part may have been let out. I'm at the point where I'm going to replace the switch. If you can hear the relay when they do work, could the relay still be bad? I've ordered 1 of those also. I've cleaned all the connections and checked the bulbs. Any ideas what else I should check? I have the bike sold but I'm hoping he doesn't back out because of the issue with the turn signals. Any help would be appreciated

Thank You

Joe

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Re: Turn Signal Switch

Post by Swagonmaster »

Since you took the switch apart there is the possibility that it didn't go back properly but there is a lot that goes on in the t/s switch. One part of the switch signals the turn cancel switch to turn on the turn flasher (this is how the cancel switch is able to turn off the signals, it is responsible for enabling the relay in the first place) which then sends the flash pulse back to the t/s switch to be sent to the correct side. A second contact turns on the selected cornering light which is also enabled by the cancel switch. With so much coming and going it's not hard for something to misfire.
The one thing that makes me wonder is the dash turn lights, they should be powered by the same wire as the other turn lights and "on but dim" makes me think of a bad ground. How do the lights work when the hazards are on, a lot of that system is separate?
Finally, yes a relay can click and still not do it's job.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
JPochron

Post by JPochron »

the flashers work just fine no issues. when i initially put the switch back together the turn signals worked but gradually quit. Also push the switch left or right it seems to stick however when pushing in to cancel it doesn't. I ordered a used 1 incase I did mess it up. Do you know if it's difficult to replace? Another thing I just replaced the motor, is it possible to have jarred a connetion on the left side of the bike

Thanks

Joe
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

If the dash lights and everything works ok with the 4 ways then the t/s switch is the likely candidate. This is just me but I'd try looking at the switch again, nothing to loose and possibly time to gain compared with switch r&r. Since the hazard relay is the same as the turn signal, try swapping them and see what you get, of course they are under the trunk. :evil:
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
JPochron

Post by JPochron »

Good news the buyer told me he sprayed some WD-40 in the turn signal switch and they are now working. Huge relief. But now on to a new issue I just purchased a 2007 Aspencdes Trike and while riding it home it kept feeling like i was losing power or being held back. Rode again later and it did it again only this time we smelt something burning and I completely loss the rear brakes, pedal went all the way down. Looked around when I got home and the wheels were burning up hot enough to burn your hand. Seems it was the brakes locking up. And this 2007 only has 1200 miles on it.

Thanks fir the replies.
Swagonmaster

Post by Swagonmaster »

It would be a good idea to start another post on that so we can do it justice.
JPochron

Post by JPochron »

Thank you I did right after I posted this in the GL1800 section