Bike shuts down on highway

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Bike shuts down on highway

Post by Charlie1Horse »

Ok, lets see if I can describe this. I can be running down the road, at any speed and sometimes my 92 1500 Interstate will just shut down. As I am still in gear with the clutch engaged, the engine is still turning, but won't restart. I have had the BAS recall done so if it has triggered the shut down I should be able to turn the ignition off and back on and restart. But that doesn't work. I have pulled off the side of the road and it will start right up. So I have tried, as I am still at some speed, to shift down to Neutral and press the start button and it immediately starts. Then shift all the way back to OD and everything is good again. This happens maybe once a week but nothing seems to be common each time. Sometimes I am at 70 MPH and sometimes 40 MPH. Once this happens it never happens again on the same ride. I thought about ignition (spark) but with fuel constant because I have the throttle cranked partly, I think it would backfire upon restart, but it doesn't. Once I get back to Neutral it jumps to life as soon as I press the starter button without fail. Once I stop I can't diagnose anything because it will fire right up every time. Anybody got any ideas??
Russell

If I don't do Facebook or Twitter, do I still have to do Social Media Distancing??

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Bike shuts down on highway

Post by DenverWinger »

Restarts while still rolling only if you shift to Neutral? With bike stopped try starting in gear with kickstand up, should be able to if you pull the clutch. Clutch switch, maybe?

Still sounds like BAS even though you say recall was done. But I don't think a shift to neutral is needed for BAS reset, just cycle the ignition off and on.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark
Charlie1Horse
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

From what I understand, to reset the BAS you have to turn the ignition off and then back on. I am not having to do that. When I shift down to Neutral with the ignition still on, it starts right up.
The starter only works in Neutral or First Gear. So, when it quits I have to shift down to Neutral for the starter to operate. Starting in First Gear or Neutral is fine.
When this first started, it would quit and I didn't even notice that it had quit for a second or two and then it would start back up, the engine still spinning with the clutch engaged. But now it doesn't start back up until I shift down to get the starter to function.
Russell

If I don't do Facebook or Twitter,do I still have to do Social Media Distancing??
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

I find it interesting that your bike will only start in first or neutral as mine will start in any gear other than reverse as long as the clutch lever is pulled in all the way. There are two micro switches on the clutch lever, the first disconnects the cruise if it is closed and the second one alows the starter to work with the engine in gear. Sounds to me like there is a contact problem in one of the (many) micro switches or possibly the kill switch.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

I would take a look at the side stand circuit. If it is in gear and running, then you put the side stand down, it will kill the ignition. If the ECU thinks the side stand is down, it will kill the engine and it will start again if in neutral.
bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

Another thought I had is, since they have been working on the BAS, was it having any trouble like that prior to them working on it? You could bypass the BAS for a while and see if it does it again. That would tell you if the BAS is causing it. Here is a picture showing how to bypass it.

BAS bypass
BAS bypass

raven41951
Motorcycle: 2021 GL1800 DCT
2016 GL1800 (traded in)
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Post by raven41951 »

Sounds like a loose or frayed (shorting) connection. I was going to suggest checking the neutral safety switch as it starts when you get it into neutral. If it does it again, try shifting to neutral then back up to jump start it (in the proper gear for your speed). If that works I think it could be the NSS.
Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: Current Rides -
2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Past rides -
2003 GL1800 - Illusion Blue
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1980 GL1100 - Custom Cobalt Blue
1985 GL1200 Aspencade Brown
1983 CX500 Custom Red
1982 CX500 Custom Blue
1978 CX500 Standard Black
1982 Suzuki GS650 Red

Post by Wingsconsin »

What is your fuel level when this happens ?
My bet is 1/2 tank or less -- if so -- check for a weak fuel pump -
The 1500 will gravity feed the fuel until the tank is under 1/2 - then the fuel pump must help move the gas to the carbs
If it is weak (and usually hot) it will not move enough fuel to keep the higher RPMs going on the highway -
The fuel acts a pump coolant and keeps the pump from overheating
When you pull over the pump 'catches up' and all is well again and/or if you fill the tank it's 'fixed'
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Munk's Maxim -- There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle
Charlie1Horse
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

I have been checking different things and find the side stand switch is working properly. The Neutral switch is functioning correctly. This happens at highway speeds mostly because the majority of time is at that speed but, it has happened a couple of times at 5 MPH while parking. I have the larger Kuryakyn grips and found that the bushing in the clutch lever is worn so, it doesn't activate the micro switch. I 'shimmed' the lever with some metallic tape until I get that part so, now the lever activates the switch and I find that at any speed I can pull the clutch and the starter works in any gear, so, I don't have to stop and don't even have to slow down now that the clutch switch works properly. This happened 4 times the other day on a 100 mile lunch ride and then the next day 2 times on another ride. I am beginning to think that it may be the ECU. This happens with full tank, half tank or low tank, no difference. I have, a year or two ago, replaced all three ignition coils when I had trouble starting first thing in the morning and corrected that problem. Thanks for any more ideas.
Russell

If I don't do Facebook or Twitter, do I still have to do Social Media Distancing??
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

So you can pull in the clutch and start it back up with the starter while rolling, but the rear wheel spinning the engine over won't start it back up?
bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

Rambozo wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:48 am So you can pull in the clutch and start it back up with the starter while rolling, but the rear wheel spinning the engine over won't start it back up?
That is a good question. That behavior doesn't make any sense to me. Pulling in the clutch shouldn't do anything but allow the starter to work.
Charlie1Horse
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

bellboy40 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:38 am
Rambozo wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:48 am So you can pull in the clutch and start it back up with the starter while rolling, but the rear wheel spinning the engine over won't start it back up?
That is a good question. That behavior doesn't make any sense to me. Pulling in the clutch shouldn't do anything but allow the starter to work.
Crazy, but that's exactly what happens. With the rear wheel spinning the engine, it won't start back up. But, since I got the clutch micro switch to operate, the engine will restart if I pull the clutch in and just tap the starter switch. That happened again today four times on a 120 mile Patriot Guard mission. For some reason, when I tap the starter switch it must bypass something electronic and then catch back up. If it were a bad connection somewhere it would act random and sometimes not start right back up. That's why I am starting to lean towards a bad ECU. Thanks for the replies.
Russell

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Since it seems like it happens pretty regularly, I would do some additional testing. Like wire up some lights, LEDs, or volt meters to some points so you can see what goes away when it does happen. (coil power, ecu, pulse generators, etc)
The ECU doesn't get any signal from the starter or clutch switch. So that doesn't really support your theory of a bad ECU. A couple of tests that may help narrow things down is when it dies, cycle the kill switch and/or the key switch and see if it comes back. That would reset the ECU.

One thing that is different when you start with the starter vs roll starting, is there is a large current draw from the battery. While this usually makes it harder to start, from voltage sag, it can often burn through corroded ground connections. That would be easy to test when it happens by checking things before you try to start it. I do agree that since it always starts right back up, a bad connection is less likely. But it seems like it is very inconsistent, so that doesn't really point to a bad part. Things like ECU and pulse generators, usually do things like fail after warming up or after about the same running time. And they often do not start right back up after a failure.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Rambozo wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:42 am One thing that is different when you start with the starter vs roll starting, is there is a large current draw from the battery. While this usually makes it harder to start, from voltage sag, it can often burn through corroded ground connections. That would be easy to test when it happens by checking things before you try to start it. I do agree that since it always starts right back up, a bad connection is less likely. But it seems like it is very inconsistent, so that doesn't really point to a bad part. Things like ECU and pulse generators, usually do things like fail after warming up or after about the same running time. And they often do not start right back up after a failure.
100%, as soon as I read what he wrote, this is exactly what I thought as well. An intermittent electrical problem (probably a bad ground) - he hits a bump, the ground goes bad, the bike shuts down. A massive inrush of current from the starter, and it burns through the bad connection and re-welds it in place again until the next big bump.
Frantisek
Motorcycle: Honda GL 1500 SE Canadien Edition, 1995
Honda VT 750 Shadow

Post by Frantisek »

Hi, it did me too. The new petrol filter was bad.
newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

WingAdmin wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:38 am
Rambozo wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:42 am One thing that is different when you start with the starter vs roll starting, is there is a large current draw from the battery. While this usually makes it harder to start, from voltage sag, it can often burn through corroded ground connections. That would be easy to test when it happens by checking things before you try to start it. I do agree that since it always starts right back up, a bad connection is less likely. But it seems like it is very inconsistent, so that doesn't really point to a bad part. Things like ECU and pulse generators, usually do things like fail after warming up or after about the same running time. And they often do not start right back up after a failure.
100%, as soon as I read what he wrote, this is exactly what I thought as well. An intermittent electrical problem (probably a bad ground) - he hits a bump, the ground goes bad, the bike shuts down. A massive inrush of current from the starter, and it burns through the bad connection and re-welds it in place again until the next big bump.
Do any of your lights change brightness or not work at anytime Russell? How long have you owned this bike? Lots of added lights and accessories on it?

I have found many burnt ground pins on 1500s, in multiple connectors of the wiring harness, mostly on bikes that someone has added extra lights over the years using the bike's ground(green) wire (rather than running a new ground wire block from the battery to an accessory ground block then to the added lights and accessories, an added accessory fuse block is also necessary to add lights and accessories to prevent overloading the bike wire harness capacity). The bike's harness was not designed to carry the extra loads from added lights and accessories.
The 1500s came with no side lights in the saddle bags, trunk, or fairing, no center lights in the trunk or rear fender. Many bike owners over the years added plug and play lights(and other accessories) and jumper harnesses to power more lights through the small wire bike harness with harness kits that plug into the stock connectors which inescapably overloads the capacity of the small wire size of the ground circuits on the bike. I have found multiple pins burnt in the various multi pin connectors and the hidden orange ground blocks (covered by the harness tape at both sides of the bike frame near your knees) and also found burnt connectors in the relay box behind the left saddlebag on bikes I've worked on(#3 relay is a common relay that powers the rear lights) so all your connectors will need to be opened and inspected for burnt pins.
After all is checked and fixed and properly wired accessories with added fuse and ground blocks, if you have added lights, change all the bulbs to LEDs.
Attachments

luck
Motorcycle: 1993 aspencade gl 1500 (sold)
2002 gl 1800 hannigan trike

Post by luck »

Checking for a bad ground make sense and it could be because of to much accessories on one circuit, when i had my 93 goldwing i added some trunk lights and after that the bike start doing some free games from no display to motor stopping . With all the accessories on the motorcycle the circuit amps was near limit causing similar problems.
agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with Insta trike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT(sold, glad to see the back of it)

Post by agedbikeman »

My bike did something like this, it was the plug that plugs into the solenoid that came loose, I had to squeeze it in with a pair of pliers as my old arthritic fingers could not push hard enough.
Got to be worth a look.

Agedbikeman
Charlie1Horse
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

luck wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:02 pm Checking for a bad ground make sense and it could be because of to much accessories on one circuit, when i had my 93 goldwing i added some trunk lights and after that the bike start doing some free games from no display to motor stopping . With all the accessories on the motorcycle the circuit amps was near limit causing similar problems.
So far I have found no bad grounds or any other connections. The only additional accessories are LED lights on the saddlebags and trunk sides. All lights have been changed to LEDs and even the headlights, so, less draw on battery and charging system. There are no other extra gizmos hooked up anywhere. I rode several hundred miles in the last couple of days and had no 'shut off' incidents. The problem is that you can't diagnose a problem when it is working.
Russell
Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 »

Partially off-topic, but on my 99 I changed the switch below the clutch master cylinder and it still wouldn't start when in gear, so I put a blob of epoxy on the tip of the plunger that connects the switch and it worked for a while until the blob came off. Long story short, the problem was the hole that holds the lever in place was "wallowed" out just enough to not let the lever complete its intended travel. Changed out the lever and it now works perfectly!
Greenwinger
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE
Pearl Green and Beautiful

Post by Greenwinger »

Don't know if you have solved the problem yet. My 97 had a similar problem and finally traced it down to the kill switch. The movement had become very soft and mushy there should be a definite click from the run position to the stop positions in both directions. Maybe next time it happens try tapping the kill switch and see if it changes things.

The avatar is of me and the Mrs. on the dragon a few years back.