'95 Hidden Gas Leak?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Rattlehead
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade 20th Anniversary

'95 Hidden Gas Leak?

Post by Rattlehead »

Hey guys, got a project coming up and could use a little advice.

My '95 gl1500 has a gas leak somewhere. When I go to the bike in the morning, no smell or puddle. When I go to start it, it takes 2 tries every time (holding start for roughly 5-6 seconds each try). It runs just fine for the entirety of the trip, but smells like gas pretty quickly. More importantly, I can almost watch the gas gauge go down.

Sunday I went on a 16 mile trip that took a quarter tank of gas according to the gauge :shock: .

Oddly though, after I turn the bike off, no drips or puddles. Just a strong gas smell that lasts an hour or two then nothing until my next ride (multiple days at a time with no smell or drips). I guess I'm going to take the plastics off so I can look at it better, but I was wondering if these bikes have any common places where fuel likes to leak (lines, petcock, carbs)? I'm only a month-and-a-half familiar with Goldwings, so a complete noob :D .

BTW, a little backstory. The bike has only 26,000 miles and had been sitting in a garage for the last two years. Nothing in the service records that I was given indicated fuel-related work.

Thanks guys, I'll update whenever I take a look this weekend or the next.

Quick Cal
Motorcycle: 1989 1500 Goldwing

Re: '95 Hidden Gas Leak?

Post by Quick Cal »

Pay attention starting at about the 1 minute mark. This is where mine is leaking.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

When I had to rebuild my carbs it was because the float bowl gaskets were leaking. Since your bike has been sitting for a while any of the fuel related gaskets could have dried out. Good luck!
Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

Post by Snowmoer »

It could be any of the gaskets or O rings in the fuel system. You are just better off replacing those parts and be done with it. I did that with my 88 when I got it running after it sat for a few years. I never had any fuel related problems. Remember, these parts are 26 years old. Replace the fuel lines also.
Rattlehead
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade 20th Anniversary

Post by Rattlehead »

Cool guys, thanks for the help. I'll update when I find the leak and if I have any more problems.
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

dingdong wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:46 am When I had to rebuild my carbs it was because the float bowl gaskets were leaking. Since your bike has been sitting for a while any of the fuel related gaskets could have dried out. Good luck!
Ditto for me. I had a 94 SE that started leaking fuel onto the exhaust, causing white steam to rise up from below. It was hard to see where it was coming from because it was running down one of the tubes going down under the bike. I took the carbs out and replaced the float bowl gaskets and a lot of other gaskets and o-rings while I was in there. After that it was dry as could be.