Emergency flasher

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
bernasj
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Aspencade

Emergency flasher

Post by bernasj »

I stalled my wing at an intersection the other day after a wash. I was not as careful with the hose as I usually am and believe I must have flooded something up near the dash board. Now when I use the emergency flashers the turn-signals on the left side of the bike both front and back illuminate, the right side do not. When using the turn-signals all appropriate lamps illuminate. I see from the diagram that the flasher is under the trunk. Yuk. Any ideas would be helpful. Thank you.

Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Re: Emergency flasher

Post by Swagonmaster »

In all likelyhood the problem is in the switch. The contacts tend to get gunked up over time anyway and water could hurry the process up so try spraying some electrical contact cleaner in the switch as a try and work the switch several times, see if it will clear up. It is quite likely that the real cure would be to take the switch apart, clean it and put it back together with some dielectric grease.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
bernasj
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Emergency flasher

Post by bernasj »

Thanks swaggonmaster. Gave the contact cleaner a try in lieu of dismantling. Switch loosened up but anomaly remains. I noticed that if I turn the right side turn signal on at the same time this gives me a flasher effect and with a little delay between the flasher and the turn signal timing the effect is actually more attention grabbing.