Show Chrome - LED Cornering Light Conversion Questions

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
zzotto21
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE

Show Chrome - LED Cornering Light Conversion Questions

Post by zzotto21 »

First post for me and I know there has been a lot written about this, and I read most of the posts, but:

I want to convert my 1994 Goldwing SE’s cornering lights to driving lights. I already have Halogen driving lights under the Cowl that the Previous Owner installed and they are pretty bright and I have no need to switch them out right now, but it would be pretty easy as the wiring is already done, but not right now. When one burns out I may convert them, however.

I have been looking at the Show Chrome Conversion Kits, both Halogen and LED’s, and I am wondering:

Halogen or LED’s? Which lights are brighter? Obviously, I know that the LED’s are going to last a lot longer, do not create as much heat, etc., but I want to be seen so I want the brightest light I can find. And I rarely, if ever, drive at night.

Also, and I really need help with this, I cannot find the 4 prong plug that goes to the relay? Where is it? HELP! And once I find it, the Show Chrome kit instructions indicate I unplug the 4 wire plug from the relay and plug it, the 4 wire plug, into their jumper? Is that how I turn the cornering lights into driving lights? But I first have to find that plug - so please someone, if you can post a photo or a diagram as to how I find it, I would really appreciate it.

Lastly, I have seen that the Show Chrome 2 wire plug to the lights does not fit into the Honda plug? Would I have to buy 2 wire plugs and cut the old plugs off and re-wire them?

Thank you in advance, everyone.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Re: Show Chrome - LED Cornering Light Conversion Questions

Post by Happytrails »

When I switched mine I am pretty sure LED's were much brighter. Think I bought bulbs from Cyclemax. And I do kind of recall doing some wiring and I ran it to a switch. Wanted to be able to turn it off if I was working on bike and had ignition on. Its a nice conversion to do. Mostly wanted it for daytime visibility but at night it creates a lot of light around the front of the bike and is a cool effect. Doesn't project much that thats ok the LED headlights are pretty bright anyways.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset
zzotto21

Post by zzotto21 »

Thank you! I am going to order the LED conversion kit.

But do you have recommendations/thoughts on the two issues:

1. Where is that 4 prong plug to goes to the relay?

2. Do I need to re-wire the plug on the lights and from the Wing to match?

Thank you again.

Bob
Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails »

Its been awhile since I did this so my memory isn't so good. I think I used a bulb like this.
https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/50_wat ... /83/270155

And a switch like this
https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/chrome ... 129/418538

Thought maybe the relays were up above the corner lights on the frame? I could be wrong but I thought I ran power from a power plate at the battery to the switch then down to the lights.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset
Quick Cal
Motorcycle: 1989 1500 Goldwing

Post by Quick Cal »

I just did this on my 89. Have you had the lower fairing off yet and you can not find the relay? It's in a rubber cover attached to the frame right behind where the lights would be.

The instructions say some years may need to splice the wiring. Mine was all plug and play. You remove the relay and plug the jumper into where it was.

If you don't have the chrome trim ring, they are a must for a clean install.
zzotto21

Post by zzotto21 »

I have had the lower cowl off and did not poke around too much. I had the left side off because the left Corning light was not working and I discovered that the connector had come apart somehow. But I will look harder and pull some tape off. I understand that the relay and 4 wire plug connector is on the vertical tube right above the horn? Or light area?

So when you say “you remove the relay,” I assume you mean to unplug the 4 wire harness from the relay, and then plug the jumper plug provided by Show Chrome into the 4 wire harness?

And thanks, this info will help a lot.

Bob
Quick Cal

Post by Quick Cal »

Yup. All I did was remove the relay and plug the jumper right into where it was.

On my 89 the po had added I think oem lights. Not sure. But they say Stanley. I think those might be oem. Point is, they were held in place by a mounting bracket that was secured with 2 little screws. I don't know if that was the oem set up or not.

On the show chrome ones the instructions say to drill holes in your plastic for 2 mounting brackets. Or use some kind of glue. My new brackets fit the holes from the old bracket. I didn't want to drill more holes in my plastic. So I made some abs slurry that I used to repair side cover posts and glued on the other bracket.

Does you lights have these screws by them?

zzotto21

Post by zzotto21 »

I have a 1994 1500 SE and the cornering lights were factory installed for that year. The lights are built in and are held in place by three screws from the back of the cowling. So I do not have those screws that are in your photo. I am hoping that once I find the relay, the entire swap should take me no more than 30 minutes or so, but definitely no more than an hour.

Thanks for the info.

And I will post once I get them swapped out. I am waiting to receive the LED kit and hoping it will be here by the end of the week.

Bob
Quick Cal

Post by Quick Cal »

Do you have factory chrome trim rings?