Centre stand removal revisited

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Sidecarjohn
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GL1500 SE

Centre stand removal revisited

Post by Sidecarjohn »

Already noted guidance on removing GL1500 centre stand. Very useful. I'm removing mind as using this location for a sidecar connection point.
As I need the bike to remain upright for the sidecar connection work, any suggestions for supporting the bike via the front wheel. Various front supports are available online, but uncertain if any of these are substantial enough to safely keep the big Wing upright.
Any thoughts, or suggestions welcome.

aj1500
Motorcycle: 02 ABS 1800
CSC F3 sidecar (working on installing)
USCA# 8913
96 Aspy 1500 W Lehmann trike

Re: Centre stand removal revisited

Post by aj1500 »

put a 2x4 sideways out under the rear tire then use ratchet straps to tie bike to the 2x4. when installing your sidecar you should let most if not all the air out of the rear shocks so lifting it a bit on the 2x4 won't be an issue. what car are you installing
joecoolsuncle
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a

Post by joecoolsuncle »

connecting the upper links to the bike will support it while you install the bottom links. use motorcycle jack to support car level, roll bike up to car links and install. in other words, connect bike to car, not car to bike.
aj1500
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

joecoolsuncle wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:31 pm connecting the upper links to the bike will support it while you install the bottom links. use motorcycle jack to support car level, roll bike up to car links and install. in other words, connect bike to car, not car to bike.
I wish it was that easy :D . keeping the bike secured and stationary is the safest way to install a sidecar, with all the adjustments that have to be made, lead of the sidecar tire, lean out on the bike, toe in for the car, sidecar frame being level with a very slight nose down depending on the car your installing. you don't want the weight and pressure of the bike interfering with these adjustments when trying to get it set up right. unless it has been married already none of your connections are going to be set when you start. just my 2 cents
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

If you have one sitting around, I've successfully used an engine hoist for this. I wrapped straps around the fork triple tree, hooked it to the engine hoist, and lifted it just enough to keep the bike upright. I used two straps from the wheel to the hoist legs on either side as well to prevent it from swinging out laterally.
Sidecarjohn

Post by Sidecarjohn »

Appreciate comments so far. To be fair I am more than familiar with attaching sidecars to various motorcycles along with the various issues. Some might justifiably call it "black art, including the varied interpretations of what works, or otherwise.
With most bikes involved so far there have been no significant issues compared with the somewhat massive dimensions of Honda's grand tourer. So, it really is all about keeping the bike upright and stable without its centre stand.
Keeping the Wing upright via straps connected to roof mounting points is sadly not an option.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to get all those adjustments correct, doesn't the Wing need to have it's weight on the wheels and not tied down or lifted up?
I have had the wing standing via a front chock with side supports. I would think for what you're doing maybe a front and rear chock if you can spare the room?
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

Something like this is a safe way to go.
https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Max-5001 ... 2483&psc=1
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
Sidecarjohn

Post by Sidecarjohn »

Yes, the Wing needs to be standing on its wheels to attach the sidecar correctly.
The likely approach is a front wheel chock, of which there are several options on line. However, none of those appear to be up to the job of safely keeping the big Honda in check.
joecoolsuncle

Post by joecoolsuncle »

aj1500 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:22 pm
joecoolsuncle wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:31 pm connecting the upper links to the bike will support it while you install the bottom links. use motorcycle jack to support car level, roll bike up to car links and install. in other words, connect bike to car, not car to bike.
I wish it was that easy :D . keeping the bike secured and stationary is the safest way to install a sidecar, with all the adjustments that have to be made, lead of the sidecar tire, lean out on the bike, toe in for the car, sidecar frame being level with a very slight nose down depending on the car your installing. you don't want the weight and pressure of the bike interfering with these adjustments when trying to get it set up right. unless it has been married already none of your connections are going to be set when you start. just my 2 cents
its easier to make the adjustments after making the connections. it is the reason the links have heim joints. then comes the final adjustments after riding, which will be affected by riders weight, suspension preload, tire pressure, passenger weight (use tare to get close), even pitch of the road. the things you mentioned, which are great for a starting point, are only the beginning. nothing like a front end flop while flying the car, or a tank slapper after hitting a small bump!
Sidecarjohn

Post by Sidecarjohn »

To clarify. I'm seeking suggestions of how to support the Wing in an upright position when the centre stand has been removed. This will facilitate preparation and fabrication of connections prior to attaching the sidecar. As with previous sidecar rigs it will then be about connecting the sidecar chassis to the bike. Some aspects are predetermined such as the sidecar wheel's relationship to the Wing's rear wheel. Others will require adjustment according to variables and some suck it and see testing after the sidecar body is installed.
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

I would say build your own chock, and maybe one for each end. The sources here in the US won't really help you in the UK. I used a pretty cheap one from Harbor Freight and it held up my GL1500 no problem.

For what your doing I would go with the design that clamps the wheel like on the front of some cycle lifts. Even something made from wood and threaded rod should do the job. Of course steel would be much smaller for the same strength.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Rambozo wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:01 pm For what your doing I would go with the design that clamps the wheel like on the front of some cycle lifts. Even something made from wood and threaded rod should do the job. Of course steel would be much smaller for the same strength.
You could easily just bolt that down to a piece of plywood with sufficient width, ride the bike up on it and lock it into place.
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

WingAdmin wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:23 pm
You could easily just bolt that down to a piece of plywood with sufficient width, ride the bike up on it and lock it into place.
Yes, that was what I was thinking. Plywood, steel plate, or right to a concrete or even wooden floor, whatever you have.
joecoolsuncle

Post by joecoolsuncle »

Sidecarjohn wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:25 pm To clarify. I'm seeking suggestions of how to support the Wing in an upright position when the centre stand has been removed. This will facilitate preparation and fabrication of connections prior to attaching the sidecar. As with previous sidecar rigs it will then be about connecting the sidecar chassis to the bike. Some aspects are predetermined such as the sidecar wheel's relationship to the Wing's rear wheel. Others will require adjustment according to variables and some suck it and see testing after the sidecar body is installed.
i didn't see where you did not have the connections. my bad. when measuring, fabricating, installing brackets and other hardware for link connection points, you will be sliding the bike to and away from the car several times, also, you will be tilting bike to and away from the car. back to the motorcycle jack recommendation. raise jack to the bike frame to support the bike in a level attitude. strap bike to jack, and then you can roll it in and out /angle/twist, etc. a wheel chck will not keep the bike tight enough so it does not move from side to side. the wheel vise will, but it is stationary, which means you will be having to manhandle the car many times to get initial alignment. unless you are a 12 waist size, there is little (no) room between bike and car to perform mounting/fabricating. hope this helps.
aj1500
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

so sidecarjohn, what car are you setting up on your wing. I have to say the 1500 is a sweet wing to put a car on. it rides so nice once you get it dialed in. if you haven't thought about it you may want to consider changing your trees, 4.5 deg is perfect and almost 100% removes the slow speed headshake. if most of your riding is straight then you may be fine leaving it stock, but the wing is a big boy and if you add a medium to large car it can be a real bear to handle in turns and twisty roads.
joecoolsuncle

Post by joecoolsuncle »

wheres that darn popcorn \?
Sidecarjohn

Post by Sidecarjohn »

joecoolsuncle wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:34 am
Sidecarjohn wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:25 pm To clarify. I'm seeking suggestions of how to support the Wing in an upright position when the centre stand has been removed. This will facilitate preparation and fabrication of connections prior to attaching the sidecar. As with previous sidecar rigs it will then be about connecting the sidecar chassis to the bike. Some aspects are predetermined such as the sidecar wheel's relationship to the Wing's rear wheel. Others will require adjustment according to variables and some suck it and see testing after the sidecar body is installed.
i didn't see where you did not have the connections. my bad. when measuring, fabricating, installing brackets and other hardware for link connection points, you will be sliding the bike to and away from the car several times, also, you will be tilting bike to and away from the car. back to the motorcycle jack recommendation. raise jack to the bike frame to support the bike in a level attitude. strap bike to jack, and then you can roll it in and out /angle/twist, etc. a wheel chck will not keep the bike tight enough so it does not move from side to side. the wheel vise will, but it is stationary, which means you will be having to manhandle the car many times to get initial alignment. unless you are a 12 waist size, there is little (no) room between bike and car to perform mounting/fabricating. hope this helps.
To be clear. First outfit assembled in 1972. Succession of outfits assembled, disassembled based on following GL1100, two BMW airheads, BMW K100 and latterly Yamaha VMax. Sidecar rig of some description permanently in use for 50 years. In addition, modified and made a couple of sidecars, plus have a few boxes of available fittings. Even have a sidecar related website. I'm not seeking advice about the sidecar side of things although always willing to learn.
The bottom line of this posting is acquiring advice and suggestions regarding keeping the GL1500 upright and stable.
joecoolsuncle

Post by joecoolsuncle »

well, looks like you have hung a few hacks! im sure you have had to install lots of them by yourself as i have. i would love to see pics of those you have done, as i would love to see what you have done with the goldwings and airheads. i have never installed one on a gl of any size. never too old to learn!

Merry Christmas!
Sidecarjohn

Post by Sidecarjohn »

Sorry for belated response and best wishes to all for 2022.
Spent time checking out several online possibilities for front wheel supports for the GL1500. Surprising how many offerings stated suitability for the big Wing even though their specifications would not accommodate the GL wheel. Buyer beware, I guess.
I also checked out some home made possibilities on YouTube. Interesting and certainly not to be dismissed. However, thought again about one suggestion here to support with ratchet straps hooked up to the garage roof. So, have produced four anchor points on two roof beams and the Wing is now supported by four straps. The seat was removed and the straps are fixed to the frame, so that I can alter the angle slightly if required. Initially the work is all about preparing anchor points for sidecar fittings. Some are ready made whilst others will be fabricated.
When the job gets down to attaching the sidecar chassis it will be the chassis that is more easily moved for alignment purposes.
Reference the thread title, the centre stand is removed and the location then serves as a significant mounting point. For the uninitiated, any subsequent requirements to raise the vehicle will involve a simple jack, an essential device when operating sidecar rigs.