Windshield vent replacement

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Tarnacc
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 aspencade

Windshield vent replacement

Post by Tarnacc »

Afternoon all,

The flap on my windshield vent stopped working so I took it apart to see what could be done. As I was sitting there messing with it and debating trying to fix it or just replace it, I began to wonder if there might be some other gizmo or gadget I could put in there instead of the vent.

"Goldwing folks LOVE gizmos and storage pouches" I say to myself. "There must be tons of stuff I never thought of" and trot off to the internet to see what I could find. I was surprised that while vent replacements are plentiful, I did not find one gizmo.

I am new to the world of goldwings so perhaps I am not looking in the right place? Does anyone have a cool gadget they have installed in place of the windshield vent?

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Re: Windshield vent replacement

Post by Charlie1Horse »

I really don't know of any gizmo to replace the vent but, I am replacing my GL1500 vent with a GL1800 vent. I have found a mount that fits on the GL1800 vent but, won't fit the 1500 vent. This mount gives you the option of mounting your cell phone mount on it so you can see it right in front of you and you can use the camera app to video your ride. Or you have it up high enough to see the GPS info on the phone, if you use that feature, without taking your eyes off the road as much. Or you can mount a GO-PRO camera where it has a clean view through your windshield. There are other options for mounting on there. Check out the EZ-GPSMOUNT at www.ez-gpsmount.com. This mount won't fit on the 1500 vent though. That is why I am changing it. Just a little filing the acrylic to make it fit the 1500 windshield. No telling what else you can find to mount there. Plus, still have a functioning air vent for those hot days on the road.
Russell
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Windshield vent replacement

Post by WingAdmin »

Charlie1Horse wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:03 pm I really don't know of any gizmo to replace the vent but, I am replacing my GL1500 vent with a GL1800 vent. I have found a mount that fits on the GL1800 vent but, won't fit the 1500 vent. This mount gives you the option of mounting your cell phone mount on it so you can see it right in front of you and you can use the camera app to video your ride. Or you have it up high enough to see the GPS info on the phone, if you use that feature, without taking your eyes off the road as much. Or you can mount a GO-PRO camera where it has a clean view through your windshield. There are other options for mounting on there. Check out the EZ-GPSMOUNT at www.ez-gpsmount.com. This mount won't fit on the 1500 vent though. That is why I am changing it. Just a little filing the acrylic to make it fit the 1500 windshield. No telling what else you can find to mount there. Plus, still have a functioning air vent for those hot days on the road.
Russell
Keep in mind that vents for the GL1500 and GL1800 are generally not interchangeable. They have different curves, and won't seat fully into the windshield.