Install Compufire alternator

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
BadgerWing
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Install Compufire alternator

Post by BadgerWing »

I just picked up a Compufire alternator cheep. I'm looking to install it, but there does not appear to be a DIY. I found a vid on Youtube that seems OK, and it doesn't look to painful. However, this group knows a lot more than I do, so I thought I'd solicit any helpful advice first. If you have any experience with this that you would like to share, I'd appreciate it.

I did have a couple of questions that came to mind immediately:

1. Is there anything that I can test on the unit, without taking it apart, to see if it might be defective. I don't want to put it on the bike if it's not going to work. I'm sure there are tests I can do with disassembly, but just testing it without taking it apart would be enough for me to try it.

2. I read in some post here that it would be a good idea to install a small connector from Cyclemax on one of the wires. I'm not sure why that would be, but it sounded like it would reduce the install difficulty by removing the need to root around deeper in the wiring. Unfortunately, I can't find the post. Does this ring a bell with anyone? If so, where's the post, or what should I be doing?

Thanks for your advice and help. I wouldn't be trying stuff like this on my own. I'm learning a lot.

gford
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE

Re: Install Compufire alternator

Post by gford »

When I changed out my alternator I removed the 55 amp dog bone fuse instead of removing the seat and disconnecting the battery for the install.

For the sensing line I cut of the stock connector and replaced it with a male and female bullet connector to prevent having the remove the panel.
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
186K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
20K Miles

Post by MikeB »

BadgerWing wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:59 am I just picked up a Compufire alternator cheep. I'm looking to install it, but there does not appear to be a DIY. I found a vid on Youtube that seems OK, and it doesn't look to painful. However, this group knows a lot more than I do, so I thought I'd solicit any helpful advice first. If you have any experience with this that you would like to share, I'd appreciate it.

I did have a couple of questions that came to mind immediately:

1. Is there anything that I can test on the unit, without taking it apart, to see if it might be defective. I don't want to put it on the bike if it's not going to work. I'm sure there are tests I can do with disassembly, but just testing it without taking it apart would be enough for me to try it.

2. I read in some post here that it would be a good idea to install a small connector from Cyclemax on one of the wires. I'm not sure why that would be, but it sounded like it would reduce the install difficulty by removing the need to root around deeper in the wiring. Unfortunately, I can't find the post. Does this ring a bell with anyone? If so, where's the post, or what should I be doing?

Thanks for your advice and help. I wouldn't be trying stuff like this on my own. I'm learning a lot.
If you need installation instructions, here they are:

By the way, I recommend that you do not take short cuts. Remove the NEGATIVE battery cable from the battery before you start working on the alternator replacement.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
vcdc
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by vcdc »

A 1/4" socket will take out the 3 long screws and the back can be pulled off easily to check the condition of the brushes. Just had mine apart and the brushes looked new after 42,000 miles.
BadgerWing
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Post by BadgerWing »

Thanks for all your help! I'm planning on replacing the battery with an AGM anyway, so I'll just pull it out before I start on the alternator. I appreciate everyone's help and advice. I'm going to study up some more and then see how it goes.