Won't Start?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
No1uno
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing Aspencade GL1500A

Won't Start?

Post by No1uno »

Here is what is going on,
1) I just rode the bike and let it sit for about 2 hours, the engine is cold
2) When it did start it sounded normal except for a arc sound coming from the left side of the bike right when it started
3) I try to start it now and it turns, the battery is good
4) It is starter motor is spinning but the motor will not turn over

Here it the bike
1993 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
42,000.00 Miles
every thing works on the bike except for starting now.
Had the carbs rebuilt about 1000 miles ago...

I am looking for any ideas folks, thanks for looking.

Robert

No1uno
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing Aspencade GL1500A

Re: Won't Start?

Post by No1uno »

I hope that you find this enjoyable, I did not....

While I was working on the Wing, do general stuff to keep her looking good and running good the wife turned off the switch on the right handlebar.. AKA the kill switch...
I never use it, I just turn off the bike with the key.. anyway I am cranking away looking for issues and trying hard to figure this new problem out.
Then after checking the fuses, the gas flow in the carbs etc the wife walks up and turns the switch and hits the start button.... I could have killed that sweet woman!!!!

The moral of the story, check the most basic of items first, then call for help... sorry guys.

Embarrassed as hell

Thanks for looking,
Robert
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Don't feel too bad. That has happened to almost all of us a one time or another. I remember I was on a trip to the Smoky Mountains with my buddy a few years ago. We had stopped for lunch at a restaurant and when we went back out to leave my bike would not start. In fact, it would not even try to start. While I was still trying to find out why mine wouldn't start, my buddy had already pulled out and started down the road. I called him and told him my problem and he said he was turning around to come back. When he got back he immediately saw my kill switch was turned off and he switched it back on a said "try it now". Of course started right up then. I felt pretty foolish for not checking that when it wouldn't start. I had been riding Goldwings for about 30 years and knew full well about the kill switch issue that others had experienced.
Mine is a 2000 model and it will not even turn the starter over unless the kill switch is in the run position. Earlier models would let the starter run but it would not start. I think they changed that with the 97 model year.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

No1uno wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:57 pm I hope that you find this enjoyable, I did not....

While I was working on the Wing, do general stuff to keep her looking good and running good the wife turned off the switch on the right handlebar.. AKA the kill switch...
I never use it, I just turn off the bike with the key.. anyway I am cranking away looking for issues and trying hard to figure this new problem out.
Then after checking the fuses, the gas flow in the carbs etc the wife walks up and turns the switch and hits the start button.... I could have killed that sweet woman!!!!

The moral of the story, check the most basic of items first, then call for help... sorry guys.

Embarrassed as hell

Thanks for looking,
Robert
Been there, done that! As most of us have....