Goldwing no start

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
a1cmugs
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 trike

Goldwing no start

Post by a1cmugs »

I have had this issue for years and can't seem to figure out why and need some help.

I keep my GW trike in my cargo trailer most all the time except when I am ready to ride. Its seems that when the temperature drops to around 55F and below my GW will not start. It will crank and crank with choke on. Sometimes when i bump the starter it will kick back but not start.. I have replaced the battery about a year ago but the results are the same. If I let the wing sit until the temp is above 65F and above i can go out and it will start right up.. In the winter time as long as I keep the GW warm I don't have any issues with it and I can ride all day without problems but if i let it sit over night in the cold it will not start the next morning. Has anyone else have this issue? or have a fix for this?

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Goldwing no start

Post by Rambozo »

I would measure the voltage at the ECU or coils, while cranking. All batteries are impacted by the cold. If your bike is on the edge of low voltage due to poor connections and such, a little cold snap might be just the thing to push it over the edge.
If you confirm that is your problem, you can go through and find all the voltage drops across connectors and such, and fix them. Or you can do the relay mod to eliminate the problem for good.
a1cmugs
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 trike

Post by a1cmugs »

Thank you for the reply.. Where is it where i can find this relay mod?
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

The modification that adds a relay to supply voltage to the ECU and coils directly from the battery is described in this thread. It seems to fix the no start on 1500s caused by low voltage to the coils.
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/threads/g ... ed.611705/
khspe2
Motorcycle: 1991 Gold Wing GL1500SE
1988 Gold Wing GL1500

Post by khspe2 »

The relay mod may work, but before doing this, I would follow the diagnostic procedure in the manual for a no start condition. If you rule out all other issues as defined in the procedure (coils, switches, pulse generators), only then perform the relay mod. If the ECU is bad, however, the relay mod will not address this problem, and most likely the ECU will need to be replaced.

I had this issue on my 88 GL1500. I performed the diagnostic procedure, ruled out everything except the ECU, and then installed the relay mod. However, the no start condition when cold kept occurring so I replaced the ECU, which solved my problem.