Changing shifter oil seal -- I think I'm just clumsy

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
BadgerWing
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Changing shifter oil seal -- I think I'm just clumsy

Post by BadgerWing »

I'm trying to change the shifter oil seal and install the shifter brace as shown in the outstanding DIY instructions. Unfortunately, I think I lack the dexterity to remove the second pinch bolt on the dogleg bracket. I can see the pinch bolt, and I can touch the pinch bolt, but I'm not having any luck getting a socket on the pinch bolt. I'm using a universal joint connector on a 1/4 drive extension, BTW. As it stands, there remains a small possibility I could get the bolt off with enough time (and the right language for encouragement), but I'm also concerned that if I do get the pinch bolt off, I'm not going to be able to get it on again.

Is there any more stuff I can take off the bike or anything else I could do that would make this (much) easier to do?

Suggestions/resources would be very much appreciated.

Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Re: Changing shifter oil seal -- I think I'm just clumsy

Post by Sassy »

I just put "shifter brace" into the search box and got 465 results. Im sure your answer is there.
Your not clumsy, you just need a little experience using the,,, correct language!!
Lol
Good luck
Fred
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
BadgerWing
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Post by BadgerWing »

I did search earlier, and the only thing I found that was helpful was this:

"I removed the crash bar, and dropped the header exhaust pipe as well to afford me LOTS of access. (Doing this is not recommended as the headers can be a problem for a novice mechanic - but I did it anyway)"

This advice does not instill confidence in a novice mechanic such as myself. I'm sure I can get the crash bars off, but what's the deal with the headers?

There's this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52836&p=304634&hili ... pe#p304634

Which suggests I'm going to wreck some copper gaskets or something if I drop the the header exhaust pipe (which I don't know how to do).

And this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16136&p=84931&hilit ... 500#p84931

Which suggests the same thing about the gaskets.

Any other suggestions for how to handle this would be appreciated.
Sassy

Post by Sassy »

Wish my memory was better, just did the shifter brace and seal this past fall,, after riding season.
The only challenge I had was getting the shifter arm off the shaft cause not enough space between end of shaft and
frame, but a little prying was all it took. I guess sometimes it's problem but not on all bikes. I ground a bit off the shifter so no problem going together.
Seems to me I discussed this with other members in a thread that Scott put up including a video of the job.
I'll see if I can spot it.
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
Sassy

Post by Sassy »

Here ya go
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19760
How-to Articles, top of thd page.

Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred