Change shifter oil seal -- can't get dogleg off shaft

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
BadgerWing
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Change shifter oil seal -- can't get dogleg off shaft

Post by BadgerWing »

I'm trying to change the shifter oil seal on a 1998SE. I have removed the shifter and the dogleg pinch bolt, but I cannot get the dogleg off the shaft. It seems to be banging into the frame. The oil seal looks pretty nasty and greasy, and I have a sidestand leak, so I think it needs replacement. BUT, I can't get the dogleg off. Has anyone come across this, and is there a solution that doesn't involve moving the engine?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Re: Change shifter oil seal -- can't get dogleg off shaft

Post by Sassy »

Check out the thread in How To Articles,
on changing shaft seal, pictures, lots a input. Your answer will be there.
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
BadgerWing

Post by BadgerWing »

Yes, I know there is a how-to. You seem to be one of those "do your homework" kind of guys. I always do my homework. I've read the instructions five times and rehearsed every motion in my mind until I can see it happen. I have. Like a surgeon. I'm not kidding. I'm very thorough.

The problem is, the instructions are physically impossible on my bike, and I'm asking for help, not a lecture. If you have nothing to add, that's fine, but don't insinuate that I'm not doing my best.

Thanks
Crusty1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2007 ST1300A ABS

Post by Crusty1 »

I changed mine and did not run into your issue. Can you post a closeup picture.
BadgerWing

Post by BadgerWing »

Will do. I'll post tomorrow. Looking forward to your thoughts.
Sassy

Post by Sassy »

BadgerWing wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:30 pm Yes, I know there is a how-to. You seem to be one of those "do your homework" kind of guys. I always do my homework. I've read the instructions five times and rehearsed every motion in my mind until I can see it happen. I have. Like a surgeon. I'm not kidding. I'm very thorough.

The problem is, the instructions are physically impossible on my bike, and I'm asking for help, not a lecture. If you have nothing to add, that's fine, but don't insinuate that I'm not doing my best.

Thanks
?????
Was just trying to help,, how would I know that you know about the how to section?
Good luck on your repair.
Fred
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
Sassy

Post by Sassy »

:) I searched around abit and found this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=46601
I did the seal last fall and had your problem too but managed to get it out with some prying. Another member said hd loosened a couple motor mounts and pryed to get it out. Both of us ground just enough off the shift arm to get it back in without any prying.
Fred
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

This is a pretty common problem. Some people (like myself) had no problem whatsoever, the shaft comes right off with plenty of clearance. Others don't have sufficient clearance from the frame, and I suppose it depends on what day of the week your GL1500 was made? Or by whom?

In any case, if you don't have sufficient clearance, most of the people have reported that by removing one or more engine mount bolts and using a pry bar between the engine case and frame, they are able to get enough clearance to remove the shifter dogleg. Careful about prying the engine case, as it is thin aluminum, it might be a good idea to use a piece of wood against it to spread the load of the pry bar.
4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Post by 4given »

Sometimes it’s just a matter of the exact angle that you try to pull it off of the shaft. I fooled around with mine for 20 minutes or more and then it fell right off.
“Fight the fight and do what is right“
BadgerWing

Post by BadgerWing »

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I said I would post some images, so here they are. I'm something of an attachment newbie, so these might or might not come through correctly.

The first one is of the dogleg and the oil seal. The seal looks pretty bad to me, and, as you can see, I've removed the pinch bolt from the dogleg.

The second one is of the dogleg when I pull it against the frame as far as it can go. There isn't quite enough clearance to get it off the shaft. I can even jiggle it around so that it lines up with a different spline on the shaft, but I can't quite get to pull off.

I'm going to look into the motor mount solution. On the other hand, is there really any need to replace the oil seal as long as it's not leaking on the centerstand? I was doing the job because I was putting on the shifter brace (which is definitely a good idea, it seems), but I'm not sure the oil seal is worth the hassle. I could use an education one way or another.

Thanks to all!
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
186K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
20K Miles

Post by MikeB »

BadgerWing wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:28 pm Thanks for all the helpful responses. I said I would post some images, so here they are. I'm something of an attachment newbie, so these might or might not come through correctly.

The first one is of the dogleg and the oil seal. The seal looks pretty bad to me, and, as you can see, I've removed the pinch bolt from the dogleg.

IMG_1677.jpg

The second one is of the dogleg when I pull it against the frame as far as it can go. There isn't quite enough clearance to get it off the shaft. I can even jiggle it around so that it lines up with a different spline on the shaft, but I can't quite get to pull off.

IMG_1678.jpg

I'm going to look into the motor mount solution. On the other hand, is there really any need to replace the oil seal as long as it's not leaking on the centerstand? I was doing the job because I was putting on the shifter brace (which is definitely a good idea, it seems), but I'm not sure the oil seal is worth the hassle. I could use an education one way or another.

Thanks to all!
Do you see all the dirt and oily residue on the engine around the shift shaft? If the seal was not leaking, that area would be clean. That is the reason for replacing the seal.

I had the same trouble you are having when I replaced my seal several years ago. I was ready to loosen an engine mount bolt or two after a few hours of trying to manipulate the lever when all of a sudden, I rotated it and turned it slightly and it came out. Virtually fell out. Once I had it out, I did a little grinding on it at a strategic location so that I would not have to fiddle with it if I ever had to remove it again.

I replaced the seal and installed the Pepe Le Pew Aux Shifter Brace Pivot Assembly. I've never had that seal fail again. That was about 40,000 miles ago.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

That is pretty much what my seal looked like. It's definitely not going to improve. I would replace it.